I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gene Bullard
Posted by: Clyde Dent (162.39.169.---)
Date: November 21, 2001 09:22AM

For many years, Gene Bullard was a force in the tackle industry. His Bullard International in Dallas, Texas, was one of the leading sources of custom rod supplies. Some of you may remember Diamond II rod finish. Bullard International is gone, but some of us – including Ralph O'Quinn and Roger Seiders – are wondering if Gene is still with us. If you have knowledge of Gene Bullard, please respond.
Thanks,
Clyde Dent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gene Bullard
Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 21, 2001 09:57AM

I too had heard that Gene passed away. He used to call me in the afternoons (evenings his time), in the early eighties when I had the Phantom Rod Shop on Maui. He would just want to talk about Hawaii fishing, and the rods that we would build for the different applications. I still have some of the old tip top melt glue that he offered in those days. Good guy!

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2001 03:16PM

Guys - I too have many fond memories of Gene. I never met the man in person, but called him once when I was stationed Guatanamo Bay Cuba between 1974 -75. I had been making my own rods for several years and used the old two part decoupage coatings on my rods long before Flex-coat came about. WE talked about that and my lack of access to material to build rods at the base. He asked me what I might need - I answered.

The next log flight that came in a month later had six "sample" rod blanks, reel seats, grips, guides, etc. I built rods for the fishermen at the base for two years before being transferred. All of the stuff was Free, get it Free - he was someone who appreciated the guys in the military, told me so and showed me as well others on the base at that time. I have never forgotten that! He made my 27 years of time in service worthwhile. I always felt like he showed i was appreciated for my sacrifies in being away from home and family. Back then not many of us were looked at like military people are today - and I for one am glad it has finally come around full circle. The warriors of today are my children and some of yours to. Gene honored me then and now I return that honor to him as best I can with this small email to those of you who still remember him to!!

God Bless Us All, God Bless Gene Bullard and his generosity, and God Bless you guys for remembering him.

Ron Beagles
oldsalt@ev1.net
Tomball, Texas
USCG Retired

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: November 21, 2001 08:07PM

Hi Clyde, The last I heard Gene was alive living with his sister but it's been a while. I'll check with my former rep in Texas who visited Gene once in a while. Gene was a brilliant guy we did a ton of business with him. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff he moved. What a character he was. There are tons of Gene Bullard stories out there most of them true. Warmest regards to all for Thanksgiving. See you at the Conclave. Joe Meehan, Amtak Components.

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2001 02:13PM

Mr.Bullard was one fine gentleman. I didn't have a chance to meet him but I sure talked to him a lot about blanks,guides,finish,etc. I was in the USAF and a career type; flight engineer. Fairly new to rod building and he helped me many times with special military discounts and plenty of sound advice. A jewel of a gent! I too heard that he'd passed away. He deserves to be fondly remembered by us all,I think.
Speaking of early providers of rod building supplies what's the story on J Lee Cuddy of Maimi? Warren

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster