I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Fly Blanks
Posted by: David MacDonald (216.246.24.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 10:37AM

Hi all, does anyone have experience with the NFC fly rod blanks? I'm looking to build out a pair of bonefish/flats rods in 8 or 9 wt. I can't see any information on the differences between the Classic and the Gamma BetaLMX.

Does anyone know if the "Classic" is like the Loomis IMX or GLX from back in the day?

Many thanks,
DDM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Fly Blanks
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 12:57PM

I ordered on bak in December still no word on when it will ship. Have emailed them a couple of time no response. Hope you are not in a hurry.
Norm

Date: March 18, 2019 01:05PM

Thats not encouraging....

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 03:28PM

When you order an NFC blank you can get it within two weeks or two months you just never know but people have learned that will be the case going in . The good news is the overwhelming majority are very very pleased once they receive the product . If you're on a time schedule or will not be able to wait that amount of time if necessary to do so than you shouldn't order .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 03:35PM

Axiom II

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 04:17PM

I believe the classic is going to be more like the IMX. I got the Gamma Beta LMX in a 4 piece 9' 8 wt and it is the straight up the best fly rod I have ever cast. I did not use conventional snake guide set up but rather single foot ceramic SIC Fuji L guides and a Arowana TT (KG) the stripper guides were KW Torzites. There are no guides on the grip section. The 1st stripper is set very close to the ferrule closer to the reel, and I used 12 guides and a TT. I have been configuring and experimenting with this type of set up for about 3 years and this seems to work the best. It has a whole different feel like the line is more free without as much friction. I am sure the snake guide will perform close to the same but using less guides and feeling less slippery (cheaper to make). It took about a month to get and the advantage in the 4 piece is the cardboard tube is shorter that it comes in, so it is less likely to be damaged. I would not hesitate to get another one. I believe Fuji is discontinuing the L guides for whatever reason so I will probably start using Batson Ti framed L guides as a replacement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 04:23PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 04:34PM

Like many rods built by one manufacturer, or a series from same, there are winners and losers. I've only tried the Gamma Alphas, the five weight is not noteworthy, the eight weight is a good steelhead/bonefish rod, and the ten weight could use a bit more butt power.

Date: March 18, 2019 04:35PM

All of a sudden David reads " It is the straight up the best fly rod I have ever cast " and says to himself , " I'm a patient guy i have no problem waiting " lol .

Date: March 18, 2019 05:01PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of a sudden David reads " It is the straight
> up the best fly rod I have ever cast " and says to
> himself , " I'm a patient guy i have no problem
> waiting " lol .

Ha Ha Ha Ha, that's killing me. You read my mind straight out on that one. I'm literally thinking, I'll pop for 2 and see what happens........

Date: March 18, 2019 05:02PM

Does anyone have an opinion of the 8 vs the 9wt LMX?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 05:32PM

A lot depend on what you can do with the rod , if you have a lot of fly fishing know how, a 8 will do , but if you are like me wet behind the ears on fly fishing, go with the 9 my 2 CTS.

William Sidney
AK

Date: March 18, 2019 06:12PM

The NFC blanks are nice but not that nice. I have heard and really think they are having some financial problems, maybe explaining their terrible customer service, and terrible may be a little on the kind side. A number of the blanks I have received from them appeared to be seconds, so I have not been impressed with their quality. One rod I built for a friend broke the first day he used it and it took me over three months to get a replacement. I will not order another blank from them until I’m convinced that they have improved significantly, but I think they will be out of business before that happens.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:59PM

I wouldn't go higher than an 8 for bonefish. The disadvantage is that it will be more tiring. Most bonefishing can be done with 6-8, no need for a 9.

The Pac Bay Quickline 8 is a great bonefish rod, ccs shows it has the power, look around and you'll find the price is very good. As with any rod, you may have some work to do to find the best line match. Any rod, including NFC. Want to pay a little more , the Rainshadow Eternity 2 is very nice and has nano sphers. Supposedly tougher.

Date: March 18, 2019 10:13PM

I have an Eternity 2 8 wgt very sweet rod, like it a lot.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:03AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of a sudden David reads " It is the straight
> up the best fly rod I have ever cast " and says to
> himself , " I'm a patient guy i have no problem
> waiting " lol .

Herb,
I have many blanks so it is not an issue waiting for a few more, but to tell you the truth I am always surprised when they actually arrive, especially if they are not already broken to pieces. They definitely have some issues and it wouldn't be unthinkable if all of sudden they shut their doors and kept our money. I have made some great rods with the MHX blanks and the Batson ones. They seem very similar to each other but all around great blanks.

Date: March 20, 2019 09:45AM

Lance , i understand , my post was to let David know that with NFC the time you may have to wait could be lengthly or relatively quick you just never know . You aren't the first who has had blanks arrive that were broken thats something that just should not happen these days . That is always a possibility when shipping blanks in cardboard tubes , Herb L ships CTS blanks only in PVC tubing (The thick kind) in the two inch diameter & they always arrive in perfect condition.

I did a search to see what others who ordered NFC blanks are dealing with and people are saying the same thing about NFC shutting their doors , then there was one guy who said he talked to NFC last week and everything is A OK so who knows. Batson has a stellar reputation for a reason and Mudhole shook the industry up by hiring Todd Vivian & i'm sure they're very pleased with the result .

Can't go wrong with Batson or MHX imo and you won't have to wait that long for either .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster