I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Difference: Fuji KTTG vs KBTG?
Posted by: Mo Yang (143.197.224.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 01:08PM

Quick basic question - What's the differences between the Fuji KTTG and KBTG? I am having trouble telling.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference: Fuji KTTG vs KBTG?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 01:10PM

The foot is larger/wider on the KB.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 01:31PM

From Angler's Resource [anglersresource.net]

"Fuji’s new KB solves an emerging problem; most micro running guides do not have the foot strength to stay put in the mid-section of rods due to large stresses in this area when under load. KB has an over-sized, beveled foot for excellent load characteristics even on heavy rods."

Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: March 18, 2019 02:18PM

The KB series has the whole frame stronger. Not only the footer is bigger (wider).

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Date: March 18, 2019 02:24PM

The KB's frame is not any stronger, it is identical in every way to the KT frame ONLY the foot is different . If you mean the "Foot" makes it stronger than that is correct but the frame is the same as the KT .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 02:27PM by herb canter.

Date: March 18, 2019 02:52PM

It depends on what you think is a frame and what a footer.
The ring surround itself is the same in KB and KT. However, the foot and two support rods are stronger in the KB versions.
If you have any doubts, I can send pictures.

[brcrods.com]

Date: March 18, 2019 03:15PM

I went to my desk and i have those two guides in front of me right now and i'm looking at them under this giant $5.00 magnifying glass and i'm seeing zero difference except for the foot everything else is identical . Even Fuji's literature says the only difference is the foot , anyway it's not worth arguing about , the OP got his answer .

Date: March 18, 2019 03:42PM

I know that this is a small difference.
See my photo for size KB and KT 6
[www.facebook.com]

[brcrods.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 04:20PM

This round goes to Robert!

Date: March 18, 2019 04:20PM

Yup , thats exactly what mine look like also , i think we have succeeded in helping the OP . Great pic by the way , you got that magic photo touch .

Date: March 18, 2019 04:33PM

I am sorry that I do not fully understand. My English is at the primary level.
I hope the picture shows these delicate differences. I hope I helped.

[brcrods.com]

Date: March 18, 2019 04:40PM

English is A OK Robert , THANK YOU VERY MUCH for contributing my friend .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 06:01PM

Here is what I posted on another thread a short time ago concerning a 4.5 UL rod.

“The difference between the Fuji KB guides and the KT guides is that the KBs have a longer and wider foot but still have the same ring size and height. The KB guides are meant to be used in the mid section (or belly) of the rod to better resist pullout forces that occur in this section of the rod when fully loaded. Hence the acronym Belly guides. The KT guides have a shorter and thinner foot and are meant to be used in the tip section of the rod where pull forces are not so great. The smaller thinner foot makes them lighter and more suitable for use in the tip section of the rod, thus the name Tip guides. For most casting rods two to three KBs are normally used and for spinning rods one to two KBs are normal. However, there is no law against using all KBs or KTs. I use a locking wrap on all my single foot guides, making pullou a moot point, but I still use both KB and KT guides. Hope this helps.”
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 07:13PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2019 01:25AM

Thank you everyone for chiming in. And Robert, as usual, your knowledge is quite detailed.

Thanks everyone!

Which leads me to one more question. If I want to build UL casting rods that will never see anything more than 6 lbs test (so drag set at maybe 2 lbs max), can I just use KTTG?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 01:28AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:56AM

I would build it using the KR Concept, but use Pac Bay Minima guides instead. If you want to use Fuji, you can do all KTs or throw two KBs in there; dealer's choice.

I think if you built two rods, one with all KTs and one with two KBs, you would not be able to tell the difference in weight or performance.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:47AM

Yes, you can use just KT's , although i use a single KB as the choke guide on spinning rods using all KT's will have absolutely zero negative effect on the rods performance . I also agree 100% with Seth with his comment about not being able to tell a difference if a rod is equipped with all KB's or all KT's .

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 10:22AM

One advantage of having a KB or two in the build is that if you change to a heavier line you won't have to worry about the guides. Versatility.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 01:32PM

Herb, you use a single KB as the choke guide on 'SPINNING" rods? Isn't that too low to the blank? Or does it actually work just fine as far as casting distance?

Thanks.

Date: March 20, 2019 02:38PM

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, you use a single KB as the choke guide on
> 'SPINNING" rods? Isn't that too low to the blank?
> Or does it actually work just fine as far as
> casting distance?
>
> Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding Mo i just saw this question , yes, i use a single KB guide at the choke location which will be the same size as my running guides which are all KT's . You certainly do not have to use a KB as KT's will work also but Fuji recommends that spinners use at least one KB for the choke guide and it's because of the added stresses at that specific location since it's the main turning point where the line changes it's direction .

Here is Fuji's explanation on why they recommend KB guides :

" Adding a running guide (and sometimes two) moves mid-rod stress from larger reduction guides to smaller micro guides now positioned in the mid section of the rod. To handle these larger loads, Fuji has developed the KB guide, a small ring guide with a larger, beveled foot specifically designed to handle mid- section stress"

Sometimes a visual works the best

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

Date: March 20, 2019 02:44PM

I always forget to answer at least one question and this time it's whether using a KB effects casting distance , the answer is definitely not , the KB is the same size and shape as the KT so it has zero effect on casting distance . It just offers a little more strength at that specific point where the line changes direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster