I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Gary W. Jones (50.34.195.---)
Date: March 16, 2019 07:03PM

I have of late been using casting guides and tip tops (ceramic insert) on fly rods. I really like the look and they seem to work well. I'd like to know if other builders and fishermen find this a satisfactory practice? Gary Jones. ([email protected])

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2019 08:38PM

I've built hundreds of fly rods with ceramic guides and have zero complaints. The rods feel smoother and quieter.

Having said that, on lighter rods I began using the Pacific Bay Minima guides as a compromise between carrying less weight and still offering more than adequate performance. I have zero complaints with them in this capacity.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 12:47AM

I like them also, Lamiglas at one time used ceramics on their high end fly rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 11:35AM

Every fly rod does not need to conform to the same standards, nor does every fly rod component. The weight and size of guides for a 5wt. that will seldom if ever have to cast over 40' are quite different than the requirements of guides for a 9wt that frequently needs to cast 70' or more.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 03:02PM

that,s interesting Spencer..were they titanium frames?

Date: March 17, 2019 03:24PM

No Ben, it was their Esprit/XMG50 fly rods and I believe they were black framed Fuji Alconites.

Date: March 17, 2019 03:30PM

No Ben, it was their Esprit/XMG50 fly rods and I believe they were black framed Fuji Alconites. I won a 9 1/2 ft, 3 piece, 7 wt. that was a bomb, sold it on the river to a fishing buddy. Than bought a blank and haven't built on it yet. Started using Dan Craft blanks and haven't got to it.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 03:45PM

that,s a little surprising that they didn,t use titanium..thanks Spencer..

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 07:10PM

Price would probably go through the roof if they equipped the rod's with titanium framed guides , St. Croix decided to equip all their latest Legend surf rods with Titanium torzite guides and the price jumped from an average of $400.00 + when they used Fuji's black Alconite LC frames to $600.00 + with Fuji's best Titanium torzites.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 05:00PM

I have also been doing it for a while but have found that you need to use more single foot ceramic guides than double foot snake guides to get better performance. There is a better feel with the ceramic guides but there is also a jump in cost.

Posted by: David MacDonald (216.246.24.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 05:18PM

For the running guides, I've used single foot CSFGs from Pac Bay, upsizing 1 step from mfg suggestion for snake gudies, with one or two larger ceramic strippers.

Never had issues casting. Snake guides are easier to thread line or leader through if you go on the diagonal, but the single foot ones seem very good at line control.

I recently built an 8'6' spinning rod on a St Croix blank with some new micro ceramic fuji guides that casts braid like a dream. The guides were the Fuji KL BC Grey Alconite. I set the two larger guides in line with the reel axis and the small, running ceramics kept the line "in line" really well. I was surprised how small they were and how close they were to each other but the rod cast a dream on a recent trip to the Bahamas. In terms of a fly rod, I'm not sure if it would be a good thing to add guides and keep the line closer to the blank or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 05:22PM by David MacDonald.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 06:18PM

And now there's the CERecoil. A ceramic ring affixed to a Recoil wire frame. Perhaps the lightest ceramics yet for a fly rod.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 10:27PM

I've built several 8 and 9 weight rods with all Fuji ceramic guides(K series). I also use the Fuji titanium (F) tops.

To keep weight to a minimum, I use titanium framed guides for the tip section and then the stainless "corrosion control" for the lower running guides. This makes for a good casting rod, keeps the cost reasonable.

Drew

Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:42AM

Gary W. Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have of late been using casting guides and tip
> tops (ceramic insert) on fly rods. I really like
> the look and they seem to work well. I'd like to
> know if other builders and fishermen find this a
> satisfactory practice? Gary Jones.
> ([email protected])

Tom, I am focusing on building Switch and Spey rod. What would you put on those type? I should also have said High quality blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 09:44AM by Mark Emaus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster