I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone have an idea on Where to get vintage guides?
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 05:00AM

I do alot of restores.. and unfortunately, it isnt easy finding the right guides for the rebuild.. Heck, im still looking for a jeweler thats willing to atleast write an email, or call me back reguarding setting agates into new guide frames.. I acually did a test.. I emailed a jeweler, saying i had a few agate stones i needed put into a ring setting.. Got an email back instantly.. Mentioned fishing, never responded.. Kind of amazing acually...

Back on topic, sorry..

Not having the knowledge of what exactly im looking for makes it really difficult to find good matchs.. It seems fuji is the only guide manufacturer that stamps thier name on guides...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have an idea on Where to get vintage guides?
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 09:52AM

I am not sure what point you are making with this post.

I agree if you do not have the knowledge of what you are looking for makes it extremely difficult to describe and difficult for folks to respond to your needs.

I do not think your test was fair, by your wording you mis-led the first jeweler in to thinking it was jewelry you wanted, its like asking a flag pole maker if they fix graphite poles and then you tell them "I have this graphite fishing pole...................

The other jewelers out of courtesy could have responded but in reality what you requested is not what they do.

The only suggestion I have for you to find the guides you need is to post a picture of the guide on the various social medias and hope someone responds.

Have fun

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 09:52AM by John DeMartini.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:38AM

I should have worded the first post diffrently...

after attempting to get 37 jewelers to respond to weather or not they could....

Either get, sell, cast, help, design using quality german silver, or equivelent metal lf weight and strength for casting.. Or possibly help me, and if not, possibly lead me in the correct direction for setting agate stones back into a ring setting as i do not have the tools or knowledge to preform the task.. I can make the metal guides myself, but would prefer the help and knowledge of a professional jeweler, or have you design them complete as Im afraid i will crack the stones, or have poor solder joints... Any help or imformation would be greatly appreciated... It would be 3 exactly the same and 1 a little diffrent for the top of the rod (insert picture here) here is a picture of one of the guides i would be needing help with replacing, it doesnt have to be exact to the picture, but this can be used as a model for casting, or smithing, or however it gets done. Thanks for your time, i hope to hear back from you..

Thats without going back into my emails and looking for exact wording how i asked... And had 37 non responses.. Just on a whim, i re-emailed 1 jeweler that says they specialize in custom casting, design, and setting stones you have (not ones you have to buy directly from them) also specializing in repair work in a non pretentious setting. We value every customer and respond to all inquaries as fast as possible..

I sent a message alomg the lines of..

I have a 3 round agate stones about the size of a bead i need set into flat ring, basically the sides of a metal ring bent down along the curved surface of the stone to hold it in place and have the faces visable and unobstructed on either side, js thjs something you can help with?

Answer within 10 min.
We can absolutely help you with this, can you send a picture of the stone or original setting to be repaired?

Send a picture of the guide, not a crappy pic either... Photography is something of a hobby, so trust me, its a really nice, close up picture, in perfect clerity of one of the guides on a 45° angle as to see the entire guide and both feet on a rod blank, taken slightly below the blank aiming up so you can clearly see all the solder joints, including where the band was mended to encapsulate the agate..

Zero response... Not even a "im sorry i was mistaken, we cant do that"

So to clearify my first post, i asked in an Extremly discriptive manor, without any responses, asked again With simular description, just dropped the term fishing guide, and got immediate response... So i think it was completely fair.

As for using social media to find the vintage guides, i reluctantly started a facebook page 2 days ago.. And have no idea how to use it.. But ill take your advise there, Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 10:42AM by Anthony Unger.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 12:23PM

Anthony

You've got two problems the first of which is you assume a jeweler, who is familiar with agates and perhaps nickel silver can fashion or repair a guide. You'll do better with a rod builder who makes guides. Secondly, the cost just might be more than you expect.

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward a link to the web site of a fellow I've done business with for several years and who makes agate guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 12:38PM

Anthony,
When I rebuild a rod with more than one defective guide, I just remove all of the current guides and replace with current build guides and move on.

But, everyone makes choices.

Be safe

Date: March 16, 2019 01:11PM

When i do allt of restorations i like to try and stay as era specific as possible... I have used new guides on old rods.. I feel ot takes from the nostalgia of the rod sometimes... Plus newer styles of guides although lighter, dont have that really attractive shapes and frame designs.. Nothing wrong with that, just looses something in the history..

I will email you as soon as i can donald, i appreciate the input guys..

I was led to contact a jeweler from a fellow well, well known rod builder...

As for being expensive, i know.. Norm acually helped me find a source for new agate guides significantly cheaper then i could previously find.. Thanks again norm!
See, even when hes not here... Hes here... Lol :)

Being how old this particular rod is, and being that the agates are still intact, i want to use the original stones.. Just a matter of preference...

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 07:51PM

Anthony, Please send me a picture of the guide you need.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 16, 2019 08:18PM

Will do dennis..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 02:33PM

How "vintage" do you want? I think I still have some old ring-and keeper guides - AKA "floppy rings".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 03:41PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 04:54PM

Pawn shops have a lot of old rods and vintage guides. You can usually deal with them and get the rod pretty cheap especially if it is damaged. I have set crystals from a hobby store in dimpled winding checks by supper gluing them into the dimple then coating the whole thing with guide epoxy. The will not come out and it looks great for your wife or daughters rod.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-9.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 06:19PM

I try to keep the rod as close to what would have been on it at the time it was made.. I havent had the opportunity to work on a rod with ring and keeper setup.. But i will keep you in mind if i ever do.. ;)

What works good for setting stones in anything is GS hypocement, ive used that for many situations.. kind of like a superglue, bjt wont bond your fingers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster