I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Matching a reel to a rod build
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 03:30AM

I am under the undestanding that for the most part, on the guide system, your stripper guide should be around half the diameter of the reel spool size correct? This is for spinning rods of coarse.. I know theres alot of other factors to concider as well.. Just want to make sure im correct in this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 03:31AM by Anthony Unger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matching a reel to a rod build
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 12:42PM

Anthony,
Over the years, I have built rods that will handle a range of reels. Most of the clients for which I build will own a rod for a long time and will go through many reels on that particular rod over the years of ownership.

I am the same way. When I go fishing, I have a bag of rods and a bag of reels. Some smaller reels, some medium sized reels and some larger reels.

Depending on what I am doing, I may put any reel on any rod. As a result I generally build for a middle of the line - in size reel and it works just fine for reels that are small, medium or larger.

But your choice.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 01:29PM

Which is more common, matching the reel to a rod or matching the rod to a reel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 01:34PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-15.myvzw.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 01:36PM

I agree completly phil.. I just read an artice recently, granted it was for spinning rods for surf setups... But i assumed it could apply to freshwater setups as well..

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 07:50PM

So you want to match a specific reel to a specific rod and the combination will be kept together as a match is that right ? If thats what you want to do there is no better method than the below method and it's exactly how i layout my surf rods. I go with a much smaller choke and running guides though since i don't use 50 pound braid like Lou does.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 16, 2019 08:17PM

Ok.. Thats similar to what i do, except i never have that many guides to choose from.. So i make due..
I always match a build to a reel, keeps the balance proper, and assures it responds the same wat every time.. The main question is null and void then.. Thank you for sharing that video..

The concept of having a stripper guide half the size of a reel arbor according to the article i read was assure you get proper line "collection" for a better choice of words..

I did find it odd ive never heard of using a guide half the size before.. Thanks again

Date: March 16, 2019 08:27PM

I always choose a rod before the reel , the rod choice determines much more than a reel does . You can use a variety of reels and all will be suitable and do the job but if the rod choice isn't correct everything goes out the window . I have never based a rod choice on what reel i had or planned to use rod ALWAYS comes first .

Most surf rod articles are written with using mono in mind from what i have seen , when you use braid everything changes especially when using braid 20 pound or under because even with my gigantic Aero Technium spinning reel with a spool diameter of 76 mm a 20 mm ring size works amazing as long as the height of the guide is appropriate .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2019 03:10PM

That's very true - the reel is essentially a place to store line. It is the rod that determines how you'll cast, hook and play a fish.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 17, 2019 08:05PM

Anthony,
While Lou Caruso’s video method (27X) of Concept guide placement will certainly work, his static guide placement test is not accurate. Loading the actual line running through the affixed guides from the reel may introduce unnatural stresses which will not allow the blank to flex as it would in its naked state. It would be much better and accurate to load the blank individually by securing the necessary weight to the tip top and running a separate line (wrapping thread) from the reel, through the guides with a minimal of weight, just enough to straighten the thread. This is the only way to fine-tune and position the guides to allow the line to follow the NATURAL flex curve of the naked blank rather than one which may be induced. In a nut shell, load the blank, not the guides.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 17, 2019 08:11PM

Yeah, i noticed that, i watched the video after i posted my last message... I ment to mention it, but got ridiculously busy... thanks for pointing that out

Date: March 17, 2019 09:38PM

He did a decent job of explaining my 27X system. Mark is correct - the load for flexing the rod should be attached to the rod tip, not the line that is running from the reel, through the guides, for checking actual load distribution.

Date: March 17, 2019 09:42PM

It did help me understand the whole laying it on the table technique better, i understood it, but that was a very good explination..

Date: March 17, 2019 09:47PM

No need to lay anything on a table with 27X.

Date: March 17, 2019 09:56PM

So it seems... Im going to use that method on a build for a friend

Date: March 17, 2019 11:44PM

Mark brings up a good point , that video was meant to show just how to do the reduction guide layout when you want to match a specific reel to a specific rod , pay no mind to everything else. I actually used the Windows "Snipping tool in an attempt to just post a pic of the reel and line attached to the reels spindle while the reel was upside down because thats the only relevant part of the video to me to give Anthony a visual but i wasn't able to post it so i decided to just post the whole video .

Every reel will be different with different heights and angles of the reels spindle so by attaching a taught line from the reels spindle to a choke guide location ( Before any final adjustments to the choke is made) it will give you a very easy way to match guide heights along that path which is what that string is meant for . That line path is specific ONLY to that reel . You can also use the table edge method which basically tells you the same thing . Once again check to make sure the rod is perfectly level .

What i ended up doing was moving in the choke guide a bit due to my preference for much lighter line so that allowed be to add another runner also , only after i settle on the choke guide location do i proceed with the runners and thats one part that i don't worry about , that part i find the easiest everything else not so much.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 08:24AM

hi Mark..in the real world of natural stresses the fish does not jump onto the tip of the rod to flex it ..lol. he stresses the fishing line which with the guides stresses the blank..for the rest of the fishing rods existance it will be stressed "unaturally"..kinda like our lives..lol.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 12:50PM

Imagine how securely one would have to attach the guides in order for them to stay in place on anything but a very lightly loaded rod. It wouldn't be very easy to adjust their position along the blank, now would it? That is idea behind using separate lines for loading the blank and positioning the guides.

Date: March 18, 2019 12:55PM

I always figured it was to utalize the rods properties to the fullest to achieve the higgest possible preformace able to be achieved.. With that said, it wouldnt matter how a fish would apply a bend onto your rod, its been tuned to handle that..

Date: March 18, 2019 01:13PM

The use of two separate lines is to show the real bend in the blank compared to using a single line with forces the blank into a bend that the guides dictate .

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 18, 2019 03:25PM

Ben,
You are precisely correct; the fish stresses the line which, in turn, transfers that stress to the guides which ultimately transfers the stress to the blank. That is precisely why the guides should be positioned to distribute the stress to the blank where it would be in its naked state. Anthony said the same thing but in another way.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster