I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac bay minima reel seat sizes
Posted by: JODY HAHN (---.sub-174-234-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2019 10:48AM

Hey guys, I'm curious what the proper way to order these reel seats are, they come in half mm sizes. Do I order the size closest to where the front seat measures on the blank and ream the back seat till it fits, or do I order the size to the rear size and make small arbors with tape till they are snug and have little gaps (that will be covered by checks I guess)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac bay minima reel seat sizes
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2019 11:24AM

Jody,
Use the method that works best for you.
I personally don't like to have arbors on an exposed seat, so I buy reel seats that are a bit smaller and then ream them to size for the perfect fit.

Best wishes

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2019 11:42AM

Get it a little smaller and ream to fit,
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2019 12:27PM

The threaded barrel of the Minima reel seat will need to be shimmed. I usually use a piece of a 16 mm polyurethane foam arbor and epoxy it in place in the tube. When set the arbor can be easily reamed to fit the blank. With the split reel seat you will need a winding check for at least one end of the threaded barrel, if you go with no foregrip you will need two winding checks. There a number of ways to cover the open end of the threaded barrels. Here are three types of checks I have used.
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
The rubber ones are easy to use because you can order them on the small side and they will stretch to give a snug fit. The hard nylon or metal checks may need to be reamed to fit if bought to small. For these types of checks it’s better to order a little larger, they will be held in place via a thread wrap. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:41PM

Order them by the size of the blank where you want the back portion of the seat to land. The thread barrels are not sized to fit the blank. As Norman mentioned, you have to arbor them to fit the blank. I used the same foam arbor that Norman mentioned for the thread barrel. Glue it in thread barrel and let it set up, then ream it to fit the blank. Trying to ream it without having it installed in the thread barrel first, will most likely lead to a split arbor. Depending on the blank you're putting it on, there isn't going to be a whole lot of arbor left inside the barrel once you've fitted it to the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster