I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel rod for Golden Dorado
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 01:06PM

Good afternoon,

I have a customer looking for a travel rod to fish for Golden Dorado in South America. He fishes La Zona and some places in Bolivia throwing the typical topwater baits and spinnerbaits ranging in weight from 1.5-5oz. I'm afraid the blank he wants doesn't exist- 4 piece, 7'6", and white. I'm more concerned with getting him the proper rod for the job than meeting the color spec. I'm aware of the 3-piece MHX TR-906-3 as well as the Phenix RTX-760-3M-B. Both are 3-piece rods rated for 15-40lb line . Are there any others that I'm overlooking? Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel rod for Golden Dorado
Posted by: james stavola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 08:12PM

Check out a 14-16 weight fly rod I think most are 8’ 6”, could be modified.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: March 13, 2019 08:48PM

I'm pretty sure Batson still offers a few 3 piece travel rods, SWT 7' in three line classes. Good price, great blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: March 14, 2019 10:04AM

They use 8 - 10 wts fly rods for these fish, why would you need such a heavy gear rod? Are they tailwater fishing heavy current?
Talking to some friends they used the same gear they would for peacock bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 10:07AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: March 14, 2019 12:56PM

Thank you for the replies!

Spencer,
Yes, that's exactly what he's doing. La Zona is a tail water that sees heavy current at times- combine that with world class size fish and the need for heavier tackle is there. If he was fishing head water streams in Bolivia with smaller fish and less current, I'd be looking at lighter gear.

I'm not a fan of trying to use a fly rod for this application. The only 7'6" blanks I'm aware of are the ones I listed in my original post. I'm looking at those particular blanks due to the size of the baits being thrown as well as the size of the fish. As an avid musky fisherman, I can tell you that being under powered with a rod when trying to throw heavy baits is an awful situation. It can ruin a trip. My customer specifically said he'd rather be overpowered than underpowered.

Jeremy

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.your-info.net)
Date: March 14, 2019 01:50PM

St Croix has the following SCIV 3pc 7'6" travel rod: 4T76HF3 for line 15-30lb and lures 3/4 - 3oz

plus they have the same blank rated one notch up as an XH for lures 1-3 oz and I don't recall the line weights

Date: March 14, 2019 02:51PM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> St Croix has the following SCIV 3pc 7'6" travel
> rod: 4T76HF3 for line 15-30lb and lures 3/4 -
> 3oz
>
> plus they have the same blank rated one notch up
> as an XH for lures 1-3 oz and I don't recall the
> line weights

Bob, my initial thought was that exact line of blanks but then I remembered not seeing them listed by any suppliers for awhile. I can't find them on any suppliers websites or catalogs. I'd love to have a couple of them!

Thanks,
jeremy

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.your-info.net)
Date: March 14, 2019 04:00PM

I think I bought the last one that Mudhole had...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster