I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead fly rod
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 06:43AM

I want to build a steelhead fly rod. Any suggestions? I already have an 8wt I built on a an older AMTAK blank but I've never fly fished. Lol I don't know if it's the right rod or not.thanks for any and all suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead fly rod
Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 07:23AM

Mark,
Not sure where you are trying to fish but in the northeast in many of the Great Lake tribs an 8wt is fine. The Amtak blank in more of a medium fast blank with is perfect to protect lighter tippets. If you want build another rod I would not build another single hand rod, I would build a 7 or 8wt 11' switch rod. You can treat it like a single hand where it will give you better control when indicator fishing or you can throw two hands with a skagit line and swing flies. Which blank you choose will depend on your budget.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 07:57AM

Quinn, I did fail to mention where I'll most likely be fishing. For the most part lake Michigan tributaries from Indiana up towards U.P. Michigan

Date: March 13, 2019 10:20AM

Then I would go with the switch. However since you have never fly fished I would learn with what you have. Figure out the style of fishing you plan to do (indicator, nymphing, swinging) and get a few fish on the rod before spending more money. If yo don't have friends to learn from I suggest you hire a guide on the water you want to fish. He/she will teach you the basics and reduce the learning curve. Keep in mind that most of the fly fishing on the tribs is NOT traditional overhead fly casting. You will most likely be doing various forms of "chuck and duck" and roll casts. This reduced the learning curve as well. Finally, I would overline your rod. Since it is a 8wt I would put a 9 or 10wt floating line on there. If you are fishing in the winter then you will need to get to the bottom which means weight of some sort. A heavier line will turn the rig over better.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 10:36AM

Thanks Quinn, I just set up a trip to Pere Marquette River Michigan in 2 weeks and have a guide lined up as well. They are supplying all equipment so I guess that will be as good time as any to figure things out as well. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Date: March 13, 2019 11:31AM

Have fun. Hopefully you will be on foot and not in a drift boat as far as figuring out how to fish. You rod setup will be complete different if you are on a boat.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2019 01:02PM

Great lakes tributary fishing for steelhead is pretty much "chuck and duck" - leader, split-shot, fly. Forget about rules for fly casting. You will spend a lot of time smacking your guides against something hard to clear the ice off them. I have found Recoil Lite snake guides easiest to clear of ice build-up because they are so flexible. Don't forget a couple of Forhan wraps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: March 13, 2019 03:27PM

That rod is slightly less powerful that a TFO TiCr's but the same action angle, been at least 5 years, but I remember it being a decent sink tip and roll casting rod.

Date: March 13, 2019 05:17PM

REC recoils are definitely the way to go but I like the heavy ones better. I use them along with Pac Bay Minima strippers. No rings to pop out. The fishery does not have to be only chuck and duck. I don't fish that way but C&D is definitely the most efficient way to do it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 06:22PM

ERN around 10.2, AA 70 - 72 degree range.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 07:13PM

Now that sounds like a safe method of angling , the "Chuck & duck" , helmet strongly encouraged

Date: March 13, 2019 09:36PM

Very funny. Honestly the worst fly fishing accidents I have seen have from spey rods and usually involved ears......

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 11:38PM

Tight loops while casting are definitely not recommended using Chuck and Duck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster