I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

14' surf rod blank
Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 01:32PM

Hello all,
First time posting but have been reading for awhile. I've built a couple rods in the past, fresh water spin casting rods but now I want to do a surf rod. I mean a SURF ROD! 14' single piece or 2 piece if I have to. Problem is I can't find a 14' blank. I live in Massachusetts South Coast area. I've tried googling, I've tried @#$%&, I've tried Mudhole. Does anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks in advance for l your help.

Dace

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 14' surf rod blank
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 02:10PM

Wow, a 14 footer , i'm sure someone knows where to find one but i don't . The best long surf rod imo is the CTS 13'6 models which are very popular . I bought a CTS 12 footer and while it was as awesome as expected i realized it was just too long , not only did i have trouble casting it i found it impossible to hold and fish comfortably with it .

I sold it and bought two eleven foot model's from Herb L (Link to the left ) HNL rod blanks , and with the eleven footers i easily exceeded what i was able to do with the 12 footer because i was able to load it effectively and it's a night and day difference in the comfort level .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2019 02:27PM

The Aussies are into long-cast, big-fish surf angling. Postage on a 14' one-piece blank from Australia might be prohibitive.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 02:33PM

Ahh yes, the classic Alvey reel. My question is how did you know Scott was an Aussie living outside his native country , Phil continues to amaze , he just knows these things.

Date: March 12, 2019 03:16PM

LOL! Not an Aussie but I've put more than a few shrimp on the barbie.

I was thinking of getting an 11' and extending the butt another 3'. Do-able or just plain crazy?

Dace

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 03:17PM

14’ surf rods are hard to find in the continental US. In Hawaii they do use 14’ surf rods for Ulua Rods. Might try to contact a Tackleshop in HI. Carolina Cast Pro sells 13’ blanks [www.carolinacastpro.com] The owner Tommy Farmer May know where to get a 14’er.
Norm

Date: March 12, 2019 03:23PM

Thanks for the advice Norman. I'm going to look around in Hawaii. Possibly go with a 13'. Any thoughts on extending the butt?

Date: March 12, 2019 03:25PM

It can be done.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 03:56PM

14' is kinda longish..i,ll stick with my two 14"ers..relax Herb..they both telescope to 8'..lol.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.sub-174-224-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2019 09:13PM

What about Talon? They have fair amount of blanks 14'6". They may have what you need.

Posted by: Allan Gadia (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 09:28PM

I believe Century makes some blanks in that neighborhood but last time I checked they were $$$$$$

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 09:32PM

Yeah. Century is for rich folk.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2019 12:21AM

CTS makes a 14', 3 piece blank. Anglers Workshop has a 14' 3"? blank. Both the CTS and Angler's blanks are "surf" rods.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 06:35PM

Scott,
As mark stated - CTS makes 14' surf blanks.
See below:

Blank Model:
Vapor Trail 14'0",2 piece, 2 oz - 3.75 oz

Blank Model:
SV14'0", 2 piece, 4-8oz
SV140'0", 2 piece, 6-10oz
SV14'0", 2 piece, 8-14oz
SV14'0", 2 piece,10-18oz

Contact me if you have interest.
Note: I provide all RB.Org members with a courtesy discount.
Regards,
Herb Ladenheim
U.S. Distributer, CTS Rod Blanks

Date: March 16, 2019 08:58PM

Scott, I just received an email from a friend of mine from Hawaii, who is really into competive distance casting, and thus really knows what he is talking about. Here is what he sent me:

“I noticed a request for information about the availability of 14 ft blanks.

Talon does build a variety of these blanks and they are used in Hawaii for Ulua.
They fall into two categories. Ulua and Menpachi.

Here is the link;
[www.talon-graphite.com]

For Menpachi, there is a link in the Ulua blank page.
[www.talon-graphite.com]

If I recall correctly, a Menpachi is a member of the squirrel fish category and are usually small in size. There are a few companies that build this type of rod.

Although I do not own one, I find the Talon blanks to be very good and their prices are reasonable.”

Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 05:01PM

Check out Artico surf blanks. They have them from 11 ft to 16 ft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster