I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 4' 6" Ultralight Guide help needed
Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.your-info.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 11:23AM

good to know. Thanks for that info. on a side note, why is the choke guide a different guide from the runners, when they often are the same size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 13, 2019 11:26AM

Wow, great information Norm and I appreciate the clear explanation. I bought the Mudhole KLH kit so maybe it is put together with the H B and T guides. Looking at it, that's the way it looks as the belly guides have the longer wider feet and the tips are smaller thinner and harder to work with ;). I use the micro guide bands on those which really make it easy for me to wrap them.

I am trying to read as much as I can on the Anglers Resource page to educate myself on all things Fuji, it is very helpful. I use much light tackle so casting light jigs and such is very important to me. These guides seem very durable also. I have not used the locking wrap yet but will on my nest casting build. Anxious to try that.

Ben, I have made many mistakes so far and don't mind that as its a good way to learn from. I was referencing the cost that may be involved in buying all the wrong parts, although it does help in building your inventory, but for now I'd rather buy all the right ones!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 11:38AM

The choke guide is called a choke guide because of it position, not it’s size. It is the first running guide after the last reduction guide, a position where the line is ‘choked’ going into the rest of the runners.
I have been using the KR since they first arrived in the US and I really like them, and have found them to be very durable.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 05:29PM

The Anglers Resource website should remove the " Guide Placement Software" link that is directly above the KR GPS software link because that continues to confuse a lot of people . The "Guide Placement Software" link is for the NGC software , they should rename it NGC GPS which would be far far less confusing to people .

All KR concept builds should use the below link NOT the "Guide Placement Software" link directly above it.

[anglersresource.net]

Date: March 13, 2019 05:47PM

Still confused about the KR concept , the below groupings are the most popular for spinning rods but unfortunately KR guide kits don't include the most popular matches .

For spinning rods that use up to 15lb braid or up to 8lb mono:

KL16H, KL8H, KL5.5M

For spinning rods that use 15 to 20 lb braid or 8lb - 12lb mono:

KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M

For spinning Rods that use 20lb braid or 8lb - 14lb mono:

KL25H, KL12H, KL5.5M

And for the people that like a visual to see how the NGC builds and KR concept builds differentiate

[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 14, 2019 09:02AM

if you use a locking wrap you don,t need to use the belly type guide..at least not on L type guides..

Date: March 14, 2019 01:41PM

I never used the locking wrap on any of my size 5 KT runners , they're all super solid and i have had no issues . The KB's foot is far easier to wrap on though no question about it and the height and ring are identical to the KT's , i still use KT's after using the KB as the choke guide though but some use all KB's from the choke out toward the tip due to the larger foot being easier to wrap , both ways work fine.

Date: March 14, 2019 01:58PM

belly guides look heavier to me..locking wraps look lighter..

Date: March 14, 2019 02:05PM

the only thing missing is a "Big Foot Butt Guide" or BFBG..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 14, 2019 06:38PM

Bob, this is off topic, but take a look at your rod balance question again in case you missed anything. Thanks, Lynn

Date: March 14, 2019 07:57PM

This thread was started by Bob even though Stan makes it sound like he was the OP because he's saying " Thank you i understand now" to people who were trying to help Bob .

Bob does not mean to jump around a lot , i can tell it's certainly NOT on purpose, Bob is doing the best he can .

Date: March 14, 2019 08:48PM

The purpose of these posts to me is to not only help the the OP but also to both help and educate everyone who reads them. So getting thank yous from others means we are doing our job.
Norm

Date: March 14, 2019 09:09PM

Herb, not sure what that means or what relevance it has if I am thanking people for sharing info. We are all on here sharing info to help everybody so I don't get your post.

Date: March 14, 2019 09:41PM

Stan, I don’t get it either!
Norm

Date: March 14, 2019 11:40PM

You're right Stan after looking over the thread again i apologize , my mistake . I thought Lynn's post about Bob was a little harsh , Bob has a habit of starting new threads that ask the same things which have been answered over and over but for some reason he's not grasping the info .

I understand Lynns frustration because i'm frustrated also but i truly believe Bob is doing his best to understand . This isn't a case where somebody is just not paying attention on purpose imo , i believe Bob is really trying .

Side note : Bob better be finished with that 4 foot rod or we're going to have a big problem , i mean c'mon how long is it going to take , it has a total of 5 guides , i demand proof that Bob has finished, i want pics !!!.

Date: March 15, 2019 05:02AM

Herb Its OK, no apologies necessary but I appreciate the understanding. I also went back and read the post again to see if I violated some protocol or something lol. I don't know the history of Bob since I am new on this forum but I want You to know that you, Norm and many others that I have yet to recognize by just a name on here are so helpful to us new to the craft. I am on other forums too, and not just Rod Builders and you don't always see people so willing to share info and help others out as I see here, so I truly believe that Rod Builders are a special breed of cat.

On this forum you can find info on any topic that you want and that is the beauty of it and I for one are grateful. See ya on the next topic!

Date: March 15, 2019 11:38AM

Thanks for accepting my apology Stan , i make mistakes and have no problem admitting it and this one i definitely screwed up on . On another note check out the "Search " feature, outstanding discussions going all the way back to the first days of this sites existence . I have typed in" Fuji KR concept " in the search box many times and it's endless reading about builders own experiences with it and what has worked for them.

If you want great images of the KR concept look for Jim Ising's entries in the photo section of the website , some of the best stuff i have ever seen is in there .

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 15, 2019 04:28PM

Herb we all make mistakes, I stopped counting, and we should all be willing to admit our mistakes and forgive others who make them. We are human although some have questioned me on that. :) Your posts are very helpful to all of us. On this thread alone you helped us all out with your post on the KR Concept and the link to the visual. I also noticed you on another thread today about epoxy and thread finishing that you posted several helpful links. That is an area I have some trouble with so I went and read all the suggestions from you and others. I think I picked up a few things from that that will help me with my finishing. I am grateful to all on here for their help. I just started building this fall so I am a real newebie and have learned so much here. I will definitely look at Jim's entries.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster