I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
St. Croix = Rodgeeks . Clarity wanted.
Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 04:57PM

I know people have said that they are indeed the same thing, but it's not so cut and dry for a newbie like myself. So if someone can confirm these blanks in Rodgeeks that would be great. At Cabela's last night the mojo bass set ups with st.croix blank's feel nice. They are sc111 blanks. Model MJC71MF and MJC70MHMF. Exactly what blanks are these from Rodgeeks?
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix = Rodgeeks . Clarity wanted.
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 05:12PM

You sure the Mojo Bass are SC III material , they used to all be SC II like most other Mojo labeled rods. Anyways RodGeeks blanks are made in St. Croix's Fresnillo Mexico facility which St. Croix built and constructed from the ground up to mimic St. Croixs Park Falls factory , all equipment from the CNC machinery right down to St. Croix's proprietary rod testing equipment is exactly the same as is all the material , it's the exact same SC II material and SC IV material that Croix uses in their Wisconsin factory . Just recently RodGeeks has offered blanks made with St. Croixs SC V material and for some reason they're labeling those as St. Croix blanks which no doubt add's a lot to the confusion .

I can assure you though that RodGeeks blanks are indeed the real deal and the same designer Jason Brunner who is responsible for the St. Croix designs is responsible for the RodGeeks designs as well with the exception of the X Comp models that Billy Vivona provided Jason with most of the feedback on.

RodGeeks hasn't offered anything in the SC III material as of yet but that should change as RodGeeks requested feedback from consumers about what their desires are . You can view that thread in the link below scroll to the top .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 10, 2019 05:19PM

I just found the very in depth article published by a popular Fly Fishing magazine that has a complete walk through with detailed images of St. Croix's factory in Fresnillo Mexico with Jeff , Paul and Dave Schluter pictured talking about the details , they explain that it's an exact replica of the Wisconsin location with the same Quality Control standards . This article came out in a Gear Guide in 2010 .

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 05:44PM

Herb, same material and process yes. same exact blank as St Croix? NO! That was direct from Rod Geeks.

Date: March 10, 2019 05:49PM

I didn't mention anything about blank models , none of the RodGeeks blanks have the same model numbers as the St. Croix blanks , i left him a link if he wants to ask RodGeeks directly . Some are virtually identical though with the model #'s being the only difference.

Date: March 10, 2019 05:55PM

Yes. They are without a doubt SC111. I took photos. I could post those if I wasn't so tech challenged.

Date: March 10, 2019 05:59PM

I guess I could email Rodgeeks and have them steer me to the closest thing they have in comparison. Assuming they have that knowledge. I could easily see them not knowing what's equivalent in a different brand.

Date: March 10, 2019 06:16PM

Derek Becker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. They are without a doubt SC111. I took
> photos. I could post those if I wasn't so tech
> challenged.

I just checked it out and you're correct , all Mojo series used to be SC II , good info on your part .

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2019 11:35AM

Hi All, here to clarify a few things:

1) The blanks on our website labeled St Croix (i.e. the SCV) are made in Park Falls, WI, and therefore we are maintaining the St. Croix name brand on them.

2) The vast majority of Rodgeeks branded blanks are exact St. Croix designs, made with the exact same materials, tools, and processes. The only difference between them is where they are made. Rodgeeks branded blanks are made in our factory in Fresnillo, Mexico, which is operated jointly with St. Croix. This is the facility Herb saw in the Fly magazine. The Bass Series, and X-Comp series, are the main examples of blanks that are unique to Rodgeeks, and do not have "twins" in the old St. Croix lineup. The Bass Series (2&4) are slightly slower actions than a typical St. Croix blank, but are the same high quality materials and engineering.

3) Rodgeeks Carbon 2 blanks are the same as SCII, and Carbon 4 are the same as SCIV. We do not have SCIII because we offer the higher performance SCIV at very attractive prices (in other words, builders can get more performance, for about the same money they used to pay for SCIII). If anyone has questions about which Rodgeeks blanks match with which St. Croix blanks, feel free to contact us at info@rodgeeks.com

For example, Derek, you should look at this blank as an alternative to the Mojo 7'1" MF: [rodgeeks.com] because it is even higher performance (SCIV material), for a little less money.

This next blank is not an exact match to the Mojo 7' MHMF, but it is a medium heavy that has a slightly slower action than a typical St. Croix fast design: [rodgeeks.com]

As always, feel free to shoot us emails with questions.

Date: March 11, 2019 01:24PM

Now that " Slightly slower" action is something i did not know and am quite bummed about , if i had known they were slower i would have never purchased them lol. I am a fast action lover.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 08:58PM

Reading product descriptions is a lost art

Date: March 11, 2019 09:20PM

Awesome! Thanks for the breakdown. That's exactly what I was looking for. Confirmation! I had gone through the lineup and those were both my best guesses.

Date: March 11, 2019 10:14PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
> Reading product descriptions is a lost art

Now this should be fun , Please show me where RodGeeks MF (Moderate Fast) rated rods say that despite having the exact same MF (Moderate Fast) ratings as St. Croixs models they're slightly slower in action ? You can't because they don't make that known. I bought the SRF80MMF which stands for 8 foot medium power moderate fast action . Nowhere does it say this blank is slower in action than a St. Croix with the same 80MMF ratings.

8' | Mono. Line Wgt: 8 - 17 lb. | Lure Weight: 3/4 - 3 oz. | Moderate-Fast Action, Medium Power

The below is RodGeeks description word for word for their surf rod line:

" RODgeeks surf rod blanks are designed to provide smooth, long casts, solid fish fighting backbone, and excellent durability. These blanks are made with our proprietary Carbon 2 carbon fiber material (also known as graphite), and the moderate action models are a Carbon 2 composite that feature some fiberglass (S-glass) in the tip sections. We have the one of the widest selection of lengths, powers, and actions in the world of custom rod building, so whether you need a 13 foot Hatteras Heaver for chasing drum, or something shorter for stripers, whatever your surf rod needs are we’ve got you covered"

St. Croixs moderate action models designated by an (MM) also uses a little S glass in the tip sections , been doing that for many years , RodGeeks & St. Croix use the exact same ( MF) designation which means ( Moderate fast) but the RodGeeks rep above said that despite that the Rodgeeks models are slightly slower in action .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 10:59PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2019 10:53PM

Another reason why the CCS makes so much sense. Relative numbers versus subjective terms.

Can you imagine if the blank manufacturers used the same system for length as they do for action? Blank length = Kinda Long...

Date: March 11, 2019 10:57PM

" Kinda Long " LOL

Great point Tom, CCS data would be a great indicator .

Date: March 11, 2019 11:18PM

Well. I guess it depends on ones definition of 'slightly'. I'm no expert on the matter.

Date: March 11, 2019 11:22PM

How can you possibly measure the term " Slightly" , maybe Phil E knows , he invented the "Feeling indicator of measurement" exceedingly accurate .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 11:24PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2019 12:16AM

"The Bass Series (2&4) are slightly slower actions than a typical St. Croix blank"
[rodgeeks.com]

"This next blank is not an exact match to the Mojo 7' MHMF, but it is a medium heavy that has a slightly slower action than a typical St. Croix fast design"
I don't know where you see any mention of an 8' blank anywhere in this post, yet you somehow managed to read the above line which was specific to that blank, and applied it to the 8' blank.

Lost art

Slightly slower - this means if one blank bends a certain way, the other one will bend a little bit more. It's common sense without the pennies

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 12:23AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2019 08:27AM

But with the pennies you know by looking at the numbers (AA) which one is faster. But with two blanks both rated as "medium fast" you have no way to know which is a little faster or a little slower than the other, if at all. The problem is not only the terminology, but the extremely poor resolution involved.

If the manufacturers are going to use relative numbers to describe length and weight, they need to start doing the same with action and power.

Back to the Rodgeeks question - if you need to know how a certain blank matches to a St. Croix model, call or email them for that info. They'll be happy to let you know.

Date: March 12, 2019 12:14PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
> "The Bass Series (2&4) are slightly slower actions
> than a typical St. Croix blank"
> [rodgeeks.com]
>
> "This next blank is not an exact match to the Mojo
> 7' MHMF, but it is a medium heavy that has a
> slightly slower action than a typical St. Croix
> fast design"
> I don't know where you see any mention of an 8'
> blank anywhere in this post, yet you somehow
> managed to read the above line which was specific
> to that blank, and applied it to the 8' blank.
>
> Lost art
>
> Slightly slower - this means if one blank bends a
> certain way, the other one will bend a little bit
> more. It's common sense without the pennies

Excellent thank you very much , so it's ONLY with that one blank series . Thank God . I did miss that .

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster