I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flimsy Rod Tip Section Support for Thead Wrapping
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:02PM

There have been a number of comments on this forum expressing difficulties with thread wrapping on flimsy rod tip sections, light, ultralight and fly blanks in particular. Experiencing the same but just dealing with it since I started wrapping 4 years ago, I finally decided to build a fixture to eliminate the flexing and make my wrapping life easier, especially when adding and dropping as many as six threads within a half inch of a 2-4lb rod. Blank flexing can cause irregular thread tension, can unpack previously tight-packed wraps, and even induce the thread climbing over other threads.
The power wrapper I designed and built only allows the rollers of each upright to be positioned 4.5 inches from the next set of rollers, allowing too much rod flex. While other wrappers, such as the Renzetti, may be able to get the rollers closer together, their large diameter would restrict access between two sets when positioned only 2 inches apart.
If you care to do so, see the three pictures under Photos, Equipment and Tools, Mark’s Rod Tip Section Support. I apologize for them not being clearer.
The pictures should be self-explanatory. For those of you in need and willing to fabricate your own, just remember the rollers cannot be larger than .25in in diameter to facilitate holding a size 4 or 5 rod tip. I machined mine from .25in Acetal rod simply because I have access to a mill and lathe. The same could be accomplished utilizing thin-wall, telescoping brass tubing with shrink tubing to serve as a tire.
I hope this helps even just one of you confronted with the same dilemma I had. Please note the word “had” as this Rod Tip Section Support has eliminated all my previous related woes.
Good luck! Enjoy!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flimsy Rod Tip Section Support for Thead Wrapping
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:52PM

When I see stuff like this I can't even believe I can build a rod. I work with junk recycled from other junk.

Date: March 09, 2019 08:37PM

Lynn,
Don’t sell yourself short. I am confident your rod building abilities are outstanding. To produce anything of quality from inferior equipment is a true testament to the abilities of the craftsman. I just got tired of the annoyance and corrected the issue.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:21PM

Lynn Williams developed a simple tool for this some time ago. We ran an article on it in the magazine. Very easy to make. Just another option.

Date: March 09, 2019 11:24PM

Tom,
I would very much like to view that article. Please advise as to the volume and issue. While certainly not elaborate, mine may be considered a bit involved and possibly difficult for just anyone to produce. My humble attempt was to offer the members a solution to a possible problem and if you can offer a simpler solution, please inform me and the masses! Many will appreciate the enlightenment.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 09:37AM

Mark, you really did a nice job on that rod support, looks great.
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2019 10:31AM

Hello Tom & Mark.

The Article is in Volume 11, Issue 3, Page 24.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 11:48AM

I bought a nice little add on that works with the CRB hand wrapper . Attach it with 2 small bolts and it's done.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 01:54PM

Thanks Mark, You equipment and building area look terrific!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 02:27PM

Mark,
A really nice job of machine shop work.

Date: March 10, 2019 07:32PM

Norman, Lynn and Roger,
Thank you for the compliments. It means a lot coming from such seasoned veterans.
Robert,
Thank you for the article location within Rod Maker magazine. I will definitely inspect the contents and I suggest anyone else experiencing difficulties with flimsy rod wrapping do the same.
Ron,
Is the “add on” you mentioned a CRB product or after-market? I cannot find it in the Mud Hole catalogue. I am very interested to see it if only to discover how much time I wasted fabricating mine. Others may be interested as well if installation is so simple. Is a picture possible?

Mark Talmo

Date: March 11, 2019 12:45AM

Ron,
Thank you for sharing the picture of your rod support.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 06:23PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron,
> Thank you for sharing the picture of your rod
> support.

yOU ARE WELCOME ALTHO IT LOOKS LIKE I @#$%& SOMEBODY OFF .

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster