I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Finish
Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 04:15PM

I've used u40 on the cork grips I've made. My question is for birch bark with cork accents on both ends, can I use u40 or should I go to tru oil?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Finish
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 04:22PM

Based on my experience with both on cork, I think it will depend on whether you want to retain original color or have it darken and get more contrasty. Tru-Oil will do the latter more than U40.

Since Tru-Oil by itself is a good gunstock treatment I would choose it for birch to have the most confidence in long life preservation of the grip. Probably multiple VERY light coats. When I use it on gunstocks I just put a few drops in my hand and rub it on and in well. I don't build up any significant "layer" with each application.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 05:09PM

Tim,
I tend to agree with Michael although have limited experience. The two birch bark handles I have made thus far employed cork as well, the first with U40 Cork Seal and the second with Tru Oil. I have relied upon U40 for all my cork in the past, hence using it on the first birch grip and everything appears to be fine. Since the almost unanimous consciences is to use Tru Oil on birch bark handles, I used it on the second grip and actually like it better. I have not had the opportunity to test the Tru Oil in a real-world fishing environment but the overwhelming majority can’t be wrong.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2019 06:32PM

Being more of an actual wood than cork is, I'd recommend some type of actual finish on the birch bark. Either PermaGloss or Tru-Oil will work well.

Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:35PM

I was leaning to the tru oil as I have been researching these posts. My concern was, will the cork take the tru oil. Not looking for a real glossy finish just a little sheen.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 10, 2019 12:37AM

The TO will produce a sheen similar to U40 CS.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 10, 2019 11:04AM

If in doubt, try a little on a few cork rings and see if it does what you want. Don't put on enough to build up a coat. Hand rub it. It will not get glossy. The biggest change will come with burl cork because it will affect the glue that holds the stuff together more than the cork itself. It gets a darker and shows a lot of contrast between the cork pieces and the glue. The glue "takes" the TO more than the cork.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 11:34AM

I typically go for a gloss finish but if customers just want a light sheen, three will do it. I also steel wool (0000 size) the grip after each coat as TO will rise wood fiber a little. Five coats lasted me five years on a heavily used freshwater spinning rod and all I did was a light sanding andtwo more coats of TO. No filled pits ever fall out with TO.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 12:25PM

Cork will not accept any thing , it will only go on top of the cork , if I remember correctly ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 05:26PM

Yes, cork is a closed cell structure, so it does not absorb, however a top coating like U40 cork seal or Tru-Oil will provide a long lasting finish. The color effects of each are different. Test if you are not sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster