I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unsolicited Advice from a Newby
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:21AM

I am in the research stage of learning the rodbuilding process. Most of the rods I use and plan to build will be surf rods for lures from shore and boats. If you are in the same stage as me I strongly recommend that you get a copy of Rodmaker magazine Volume 18 Issue #3. Tom Kirkland's article in that issue titled "Guide to Building Surf Rods" is an excellent discussion of all of the aspects of the design/build process for those types of rods. A lot of information all in one source. It will save you a lot of time in getting up to speed on the basics and more. I believe you can find links to getting back issues in the library link in the top right corner of this page. (Oh and that Library link is another good source of info if you have not already seen it).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unsolicited Advice from a Newby
Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (97.96.45.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 10:42AM

Hi Bob, I too am a newbie interested in building a surf rod and yes I have Vol.18 #3 and WOW it is very informative. What is confusing the author suggests a #50 stripper but the "new concept guide system" suggests downsizing fast with a #20 or 25 stripper ??? He also suggests a tall guide system when the new guide system suggests keeping the line low to the rod, I have not approached this forum or Herb Cantor (who has tons of surf info) until I sort the questions in my head so I make sense when I write my question.I was also thinking of building a 10FT rod but after reading lots of info about surf rods I just might downsize to a 9ft rod, I intend to match the rod with a Penn spin reel in the 4000 or 5000 series.What are you intending on building, I am interested because I may still adjust my build to something better. All the best Nick R.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 10:42AM

Thanks for the heads up. I am also relatively new to building ( 5 rods)and have 2 surf rods next on my build line up. I'm going to see if I can get that issue coming.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 10:43AM

Another great option is the Special Edition Task Specific Rod Building CD. You may also need to make a live bait rod, or other saltwater rod someday.

Date: March 09, 2019 10:56AM

Nicholas, I am not sure when the surf guide was published, but I assume some of the info may be time dated. But it is still an awesome source for beginning info.

Spencer, where can we get that CD?

Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (97.96.45.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 11:48AM

Yes Spencer I am also interested in anything surf rod related

Date: March 09, 2019 11:51AM

Ok, I found the link to the Special Edition Task Specific Rod Building CD. It is under the RodMaker Magazine link on the left of this page.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2019 12:53PM

There were several authors involved in the surf rod article. They do not all recommend the same guide system. Read their comments and decide which one will work best for your specific type of surf fishing.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 01:46PM

His name is Kirkman, Tom Kirkman.

Date: March 09, 2019 10:50PM

"His name is Kirkman, Tom Kirkman."

Yes, sorry, I knew that. I have a brain defect when it comes to names. No disrespect intended Mr. Kirkman...I appreciate all of your help here and elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 02:48PM by Bob Ginther.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 11:00PM

Bob , just between me and you because if Tom see's it OMG , it can get real ugly real quick , you misspelled Toms last name , it's Kirkman NOT Kirkland . Kirkland is Costco's brand .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2019 08:45AM

I saw it the first time around and knew who you were talking about. Just not a big deal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster