I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foward and rear grip length
Posted by: Scott Cohen (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 06:53AM

Hello,

I’m looking at building an 8’ conventional rod for bottom fishing. My question is how long should the foward and rear grips be, or is going to be my personal preference? Is there any rule of thumb when building 8’ rods on grip length?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foward and rear grip length
Posted by: Kevin Boonstra (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:34AM

Personal preference

Posted by: Allan Gadia (---.alliedtelecom.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:04AM

Definitely personal preference. If you can mock the reel onto the rod that will get you an idea of how long the butt needs to be and how long to make the grips.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 11:15AM

With an 8 foot rod, I would put the reel at 12 inches from the butt for decent rod balance and then use a full grip or a split grip or just a rear grip with no fore grip.

I find that a balanced rod is more important than a shorter rear grip One can add weight to the butt of the rod, but I prefer the lightest balanced rod that I can achieve without adding any weight. This normally means that the rear grip needs to be longer to achieve a reasonable balance on the rod.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 12:16PM

It depends on the rods intended use, lure weight, and size of the fish targeted. I would hold the blank like you are fighting a fish with butt under armpit or hip depending on preference and see where your hand wants to go for foregrip. Having someone else pulling down on the tip helps. I learned at the ICRBE from Mike Garone is that with the butt on your hip your arm fully extended on the foregrip is the strongest position for fighting big fish such as grouper, jacks and tuna. Place the reel where it is comfortable to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster