I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another winn grip question
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 11:33PM

Conveniently enough, my mother of all people wants a rod for the creeks..

She said she wants me to use winn grips, the grips not the tape, so we can see how they play out.. What are the odds..

So the question is can you marble winn grips? Shes an artist and wants to play! Lol

We are going tk pick up marble magic from mudhole (I think thats what its called) can you marble winn grips? We are going to do the reel seat for sure, and probably a piece of shrink tube for in front of the grips..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another winn grip question
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 11:47PM

I can't help you with the marbling question but are you serious when you say your mother actually knows what Winn Grips are and the different types offered , that is absolutely mind boggling lol. A complete family full of anglers i see.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 01:31AM

Haha.. You have no idea..

Simply out, first fish was caught with my grandfather.. Most serious and to this day still, the best angler ive ever had the opportunity to fish with, let alone learn the ins and outs... When you grow up with someone like that as your father... Shes quite good herself...

My brother and i spend as much time as physically possible on the water... Everyday.. And moms out there half the time with us.. A little less thdn before, but shes still castin' ;)

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 04:39AM

HaHa Winn Grips are in your destiny!

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:28AM

That is a wild idea. However, be sure to do a test piece before you even put the grips on the blank. Winn grips are very sensitive to foreign substances. If you use the black grips you should be OK But the colored grips present a different problem when subjected to any type of solvent. The color fades or runs. If the marbling you plan to use is water based, you might be fine. Good Luck.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:46AM

Epoxy marbling? or Dip marbling On winn grips. I Can't see it happening.

Date: March 09, 2019 09:53AM

Marble magic is a water base... But based on your last post on the other thread i have concerning winn grips, it wont hold up im guessing

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 10:33AM

If you marble Winn grips you take away the properties you buy Winn grips in the first place.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: March 09, 2019 10:37AM

Marble magic is a water base. But it still needs a top coat to seal it. On a flexible grip that would be a problem. If your mom really wants Winn go for it. If she plans to pass this rod on as a keepsake to you, Or a granddaughter - grandson for them to cherish. I would use something more conventional, Here is a post you can read [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 11:12AM

I don’t think the magic marbling is water based. It is hydrophobic and floats on the surface of water and does not mix with it. I don’t think I would use it on Winn grips because it would defeat the whole concept behind the Winn Dry polymer. Magic marbling can be used on almost anything you might want to marble. Jeremy Reed, a member here on Rodboard, developed the method for mad swirling various rod components. From what I understand it is easy to do but does require some surface preparation. [reedrods.com]
Norm

Date: March 09, 2019 11:15AM

One of these, would work good and cut the rear length down so it's not to so long? that's n option that would work well! And they are very nice in the hand [www.mudhole.com] You could still marble the seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 11:16AM by Jay Dubay.

Date: March 09, 2019 11:35AM

After your post jay, we may end up going with cork... Which im fine with...

Good point norm.. I guess it wouldnt be water based.. Didnt think that through.. Saw it says you just sire tap water.. Jumped the gun.. And thats why you... Are... The.. Man.. ;)

Date: March 09, 2019 11:38AM

Maybe marble the seat and the butt cap to match your thread colors

Date: March 09, 2019 11:45AM

The plan so far marbling is going to be butt cap for sure.. reel seat, might go with a split reel seat to utalize anodized aluminum windjng checks.. Split grip, probably end up with cork at this point.. Going to tint the blank with an iridescent pigment using permagloss, i have a technique with permagloss that gives a marbling look.. Kind of discovered that by mistake.. The pigment is a kind of pearl purple.. Primary colors are going to be purples blacks a touch of dark red and maybe some pinks.. She is a girl so... Lol

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 12:47PM

Could also use the molded polyurethane foam grips. [www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: March 09, 2019 12:58PM

Hey.... Now thats a grand idea... That may be the way to go..

And the great norm strikes again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster