I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Zenaq RG Guide System
Posted by: Alex Kulinsky (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: March 08, 2019 06:21PM

Has someone heard of it? According to Zenaq, they´ve been using it since 2007 and recommend it for braid.

[zenaq.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 06:24PM by Alex Kulinsky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zenaq RG Guide System
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2019 07:39PM

Been around a long, long time. Fuji sold something similar around what they termed "Match Rod Guides" as far back as the 1990's.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 10, 2019 10:56AM

There are many claims these days because everybody is trying to sell something new and make a living out of it but they are always provide comparisons with the so called "classic " guide system which usually is "the cone of flight".
The only way to form an opinion is to try it for your self using materials as close to the advertised original as you can get (if you don't have the original for tests of course). Common sense is telling that nowadays , if something is on the market for a while without being copied , it most probably won't worth the effort to be copied . So when everybody is copying KR concept and nobody copies Microwave or RG System you really have some food for your thoughts.
My personal experience thought me, that regardless of what people are saying, when you use a stripper with a diameter less than half of the spool diameter, casting distance will decrease and will do so the smaller you go. It's all about friction and the smaller the stripper diameter is the bigger will be the friction. More friction=less casting distance . It's just as simple as that. As far of the number of guides is concerned , in my opinion there is such thing as too many. More guides = more friction . Again that translates to less casting distance.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 11:01AM by carol staiculescu.

Date: March 10, 2019 04:49PM

carol staiculescu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
My personal experience thought me, that regardless
> of what people are saying, when you use a
> stripper with a diameter less than half of the
> spool diameter, casting distance will decrease
> and will do so the smaller you go. It's all about
> friction and the smaller the stripper diameter is
> the bigger will be the friction. More
> friction=less casting distance . It's just as
> simple as that.

I think the argument should be, that there is indeed a little more friction at the stripper, but afterwards, the line gets taimed into a much more linear way, effectively reducing friction for each of the following guides. Which is basically the microwave principle.
Now watching the line leaving the spool in a certain diameter, and comparing this to the Microwave commercials, it looks for me that smooth PE does indeed not tanget the outer inlay of the Microwave guide getting taimed. In other words, its that small eye inside the Microwave guide affecting the diameter of that oscillating PE coming of the spool.
Of course its just theory.

As far of the number of guides is
> concerned , in my opinion there is such thing as
> too many. More guides = more friction . Again
> that translates to less casting distance.

While beeing true, more guides should also straighten the line, leading to less guide impacts and therefore reduce friction.

These guys from Zenaq arguing, someone fishing their rods should feel reduced friction on an instant.

[www.youtube.com]

There some more stuff on youtube out there. Seems like in the last years, the market for high end spinning rods ballooned in russia.

Pretty good distance here: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 11, 2019 11:50PM

Alex, I'm not trying to convince you of anything, actually it will be better for you to form your own opinions by trying different layouts (guides systems) . If You discover that Zenaq has the best system for you , by all means use it. I was just saying that one ho claims he has the best and wants to convince me with tests that his solution is actually the best needs to compare it with previous bests or with all other similar solutions on the market. I didn't see anybody comparing their products with those of the competition but instead everybody are comparing theirs with some old and obsolete systems. I' m actually looking forward to see an official casting comparison between, KR, RG , Microwave and whatever else is there placed on identical blanks, with identical reels and lines but nobody has the interests in doing it. I've done some testing on my own, I reached some conclusions and I build rods accordingly. Speaking of tests, I would personally like to see some tests done with a 7 foot fast rod using something like 3/8 to 3/4 weight which is something most people are using for bass, walleye, zander, and lots of other more common predatory fish.
I am still open to whatever it's new and if I will find something better than KR I will use it without any regrets (actually I recently switched from Fuji to Seaguide ). I actually just received 2 blanks to build for my self and I will try to emulate as good as I can a Zenaq RG system (because I din't find any for sale other that a already built rod). I will do some tests to see if the their theory stands up to it's claims even though I already consider it a waste of time (based on my previous research for the best guides system) .That "little" more friction on the stripper (which in my opinion is anything but little ) has an impact on the line itself besides the casting distance and will make the line wear out faster and when we are talking PE lines my pocket won't not happy at all.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2019 06:42PM

Actually have 4 of their guides in the shop. That where given me at one of the ICRBE exposes many years back by Bill Stevens.
couple years after I started experimenting with Micro guides

Bill suggesting that they might be a viable option when looking for a taller striping guide when using Micro's.

Did not like the quality of what I saw or the extra weight created by the solid frames, so have never used them.

Since Bill never posted any of the info or pictures in respect to using them with Micro's ( and we did a lot of posting back then)
I assume we came to the same conclusion, or he did not like the results when he put them on a rod.

You could run the same spacing set up using Micro guides, save about 80 percent of the weight, and end up with much better results.

Date: March 25, 2019 03:27PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually have 4 of their guides in the shop. That
> where given me at one of the ICRBE exposes many
> years back by Bill Stevens.
> couple years after I started experimenting with
> Micro guides
>
> Bill suggesting that they might be a viable
> option when looking for a taller striping guide
> when using Micro's.
>
> Did not like the quality of what I saw or the
> extra weight created by the solid frames, so have
> never used them.
>
> Since Bill never posted any of the info or
> pictures in respect to using them with Micro's (
> and we did a lot of posting back then)
> I assume we came to the same conclusion, or he
> did not like the results when he put them on a
> rod.
>
> You could run the same spacing set up using Micro
> guides, save about 80 percent of the weight, and
> end up with much better results.

Their longcast spinnig rods Snipe or Plaisir are running 5,5 and 6 tip guides, which I also think is unnecessary weight [zenaq.com]
Being shore rods, there are no issues with icing either, so I don´t get this strategy so far.

I´m really curious in testing this guide setup. What starter would come closest to a tall framed, small insert guide Zenaq is using?

You got 4 of those starters in the shop for some years now without anybody buying them?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster