I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SiC or NanoPlasma?
Posted by: Jonathan Merkel (---.sc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 10:34PM

Just wondering what some of the pros and cons are of each insert. Is NanoPlasma harder than SiC? How does the friction compare? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SiC or NanoPlasma?
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 06:37AM

They will both perform well, I would go with the NanoPlasma, because of the look. They look different, you or I might be able to tell a difference between sic and alconite, but a customer may not. As far as friction goes, I don't think it would be easy to tell the difference. They are both coated and should be bulletproof against braid.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 09:45AM

SiC and ALCONITE are not coated. They are solid, highly-polished ceramics. Through and through.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 02:25PM

I know there are charts that show the hardness of different ceramic ring materials but none that i have seen have Nano Plasma listed . Very difficult to find any "Real" info on Nano Plasma rings . The biggest indicator to me about the Nano Plasma rings is the cost is only slightly higher than regular Nanolite , if it was a vastly superior ceramic that wouldn't be the case . Seems to me it's mostly about aesthetics .

Here is what the claim is :

"The Plasma deposition ring gives you a near zero coefficient of friction extending line life while increasing hardness"

It's a regular NanoLite ring ( Would like to see specifics on Nanolite ) with rounded ID’s and a new PVD Titanium Nitride or Titanium Oxide coating.

Titanium and Oxide coatings are nothing new , been around a long time .

Posted by: Jonathan Merkel (---.sc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 02:04AM

Alrighty, thanks for the replies. The lack of information that you mentioned is the exact reason that I posted here. I knew some of you fine folks would be able to shed some light on this for me. I'll just stick with good ol' SiC. Thanks again, and happy fishing!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 11:29AM

Sic has a Vicker hardness of about 2200-2400 and Nanolte has a hardness of about 1800. So Sic is harder. However, both are overkill as far as hardness is concerned, since neither will ever groove under normal fishing conditions.
Norm

Date: March 09, 2019 03:37PM

Can never go wrong with Sic , i really like the slim ring versions . I have seen a lot of conflicting info between Sic and Torzite and have serious doubts to whether Torzite is a far superior ring material , it's certainly priced like it is but some info even by Fuji themselves seems to indicate the hardness level is NOT above that of Sic but it's polish and durability is .

Date: March 09, 2019 04:27PM

Sic rings are harder, however, Torzite rings are lighter, stronger, and smoother than Sic rings, or any other ring material for that matter.
[ctsfishing.zendesk.com]
Norm

Date: March 09, 2019 04:44PM

I saw and read that CTS info a few weeks back , good info . Now the question that people want to know , are Torzites worth the extra $$$ and that is not a question that can really be answered because the attributes that Torzite has advantages in will be attractive to some and not so attractive to others.

Date: March 09, 2019 05:36PM

I don’t think either Sic or Torzite are worth the extra money for most freshwater or light inshore rods. I use mostly Alconite with the corrosion control frames., but if you want Titanium guides you have to move up. I miss the Alconite Titanium guides.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster