I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Balance Questions
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 10:47PM

Phil has a valid point there Lynn and come to think of it, i would also like to know how can you be so certain the horse has actually expired , maybe it's just sleeping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: March 08, 2019 11:55PM

Well, I got this all bungled up. I may have mislead you as to the rod. the 7'6" rod is rated heavy power, fast action, lure weights 3/4 to 3oz, line weights 15-30lb. My goal is to throw lures in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz range for pargos, cuberas etc, from a boat along the rocky shores in Mexico. I am looking for a rod to use for that purpose but not married to the 4500. That lead to my questions about balance and reel weights. I am just trying to learn this stuff. Not a dead horse, just trying to figure out the basics

Date: March 09, 2019 01:04AM

You just added some very helpful info, the only thing this changes in regard to the rod is that it won't throw the low end nearly as effectively since it's rated up to 3 oz but it will definitely still work especially if your line choice isn't overly heavy. Now here is a basic rule of thumb , even though the rod is shown to have a 3/4 to 3 oz lure range the rod in reality will perform optimally in the 1 1/2 to 3 oz range and have a hard time loading up at it's listed 3/4 ounce starting point but this is completely normal .

Another basic rule of thumb is that and this especially applies to St. Croix rods but is a common practice across all rod lines from all manufacturers, even though the top lure range weight is listed as 3 oz this figure will tend to be quite conservative meaning that it's actual effective range will be more along the lines of 3. 5 ounce or more. To have a really good idea what a specific rod will cast optimally just look at the middle of what the low end & high end of it's rating is and try to match what the middle of those two figures reveal to what weights you will be throwing most.

Now the biggest change is that you will be fishing on a boat and not casting from the sand , this makes casting distance far less important and it also makes reel weight far less important as using a considerably larger reel from a boat is not nearly as big a negative as it would be if you were walking the sand . The correction about the power rating on the rod, the heavier lure ratings and that you will be fishing off a moving platform has made things switch in your favor considerably so you're in great shape.

Date: March 09, 2019 01:48AM

I just realized you mentioned line weights of 15-30 pounds, i assume thats braid if it's mono or flouro as a main line a change in ring size in a high framed stripper would be advised , i would go with a KL-H 25 if you will be building using the KR concept . I would probably opt for a 25 in your case anyway since the Saltist 4500 DOES does have a larger spool diameter than Shimano's of similar sizes .

I know you're still banging your head about where you should locate the reel and reel seat , the best way to do this imo is mount the reel you plan on using at different locations and i would start about one foot up from the butt of the blank . Tape the reel foot onto the bare blank and your hands should just naturally move to where you feel most comfortable holding and casting by going through the motions . It you like the way it feels a few inches up or down move it and go through the motions again.

Now this is based on your Saltist 4500 that weighs 22 ounces which you said you're not sure you will be sticking with , if you plan on using a specific reel this is a step where it's important to have that reel before going further . If you plan to use different spinners than the reel seat position will change very slightly but not too much . In the overwhelming majority of cases an angler will know very quickly where the reel seat feels best and that will be it, to this day i have not run across anybody that has decided all of a sudden that the reel seat position doesn't feel optimal , it's pretty much a " I LIKE IT RIGHT HERE " end of story .

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 08:09AM

Herb, Thank you very much for the detailed, (and patient!) responses. Very helpful.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2019 04:34PM

If the horse is tip up he/she is alive. If it's tail up stay away!

Date: March 11, 2019 07:58PM

I had a reply to this typed 2 days ago and accidentally failed to post it. I thought it was pretty funny too.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2019 04:29PM

lol Lynn ..... knowing you, I have a feeling I would have been busting a gut. lol

Date: March 12, 2019 06:45PM

Bob, sorry to have misled you, the dead horse thing was in response to Phil's balance questions. Forgot you were pretty new to the forum. The balance thing has been an ongoing issue between some .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2019 08:28PM

I knew exactly what the dead horse comment was about lol

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster