I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guides for an 8wt CTS build
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 07:30PM

very good John..that,s the way they have been building fly rods for the lasy one hundred years..lol..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jamie Midgley (199.249.230.---)
Date: March 10, 2019 11:04PM

I just recently built a rod based off this blank that I picked up from Herb. I ended up building it very similar to what Norman Miller's plans are for his. Alps BARA701L2 seat, Fuji Torzite 16 and 12 strippers followed by a 5 then size 3 Recoil heavy snakes with a Recoil tip top.

I chose snakes because after using nothing but single foots on my earlier rods I have come to appreciate the increased opening of snakes for passing knots. Also, as I have only used either Recoil or Snake Brand running guides, I found the Recoil single legs were very long and since the legs were doubled up there was no saving in material weight from a snake guide only the savings in finish and thread with the downside of the smaller opening. Personal choice here, there is no wrong.

As far as ceramics, I have only used them on one rod I have built so my experience is very limited. I put American Tackle single foot titanium fly guides on a St. Croix SCIV 6 weight. I found them heavier and noticeably dampened the blanks recovery. It was to the point that I did not really like the rod and used it sparingly. Eventually, one of the ceramic inserts popped out and I used it as an excuse to strip the blank and I ended up putting snakes on it and now I find myself reaching for this rod far more often and it is much more enjoyable to fish. As I live in the midwest, this rod was and is not used for saltwater fish going on long runs. It is my designated carp rod for the lake near me and also used to chase Wipers. Does not shoot line like it used to though.

Once again, personal choice, there is no wrong.

Jamie

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2019 11:34AM

Rod builders unacquainted with fly casting and fly fishing may be willing to sacrifice performance for appearance and build fly rods with ceramic guides. The difference in coefficient of friction between a ceramic and ni-ti alloy is minute, and the considerably greater surface area of a ceramic guide - compared to a snake guide - creates more line friction than a snake guide. I have never seen any type of fly-rod guide grooved by a FLY LNE, but if you use a fly rod for something besides fly fishing ceramic guides could be a good choice?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 11:34AM

Hi Jamie,
I'm surprised that your experience is that the #6 shoots less line with wire guides than with ceramics.
I would have thought it would be the opposite and that you would gain line speed and more distance.
I assume you used the same line for the comparison.
Try overlining the rod with more grains than you used with the ceramics.
Regards
Herb
Herb

Posted by: Jamie Midgley (23.227.202.---)
Date: March 11, 2019 01:12PM

Herb,

Honestly, I'm not sure if it shoots more per se, I can cast a whole line either way but it sure seemed to flow smoother with ringed guides but I couldn't abide the extra sloppiness in the tip.

As to overlining, I like long carries so I tend to purposefully search out fly lines that are true to their AFTMA ratings or underline. Most of my fishing is done in still water casting to structure or spots from the bank or wading. The ability to cast longer allows me to cover more water and the ability to carry a long line allows me to cast accurately into the trees or other structure at 60 - 80 feet while just shooting line ends up with being snagged more often. If this means that my six weight doesn't cast a 7 inch bass bug all that well then I grab the 8 as opposed to overlining the 6. Just what works for me.

BTW, the CTS is a beast. I have yet to really put it through it's paces as everything is still ice around here but it casts effortlessly. Thank you.

Jamie

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 01:46PM

Jamie
Obviously you are very accomplished.
The sloppy upper areas of the rod is also my objection to certain ceramics.
And I think you would agree that ceramics limit line choices.
Yes - the Affinity-X #8 can be a "beast" as you say.
But it handles legitimate #8 lines but can handle a 400 gr line which we use on the outer Cape Cod beaches to cast large Gurglers.
I apologize if this is considered piracy of this post - but I think it clarifies the issue
Regards
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS rod Blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 01:59PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Daniel Kerr (204.145.118.---)
Date: March 13, 2019 02:51PM

I am also doing 2 8wt builds, an SCIV/II and a SCV/FRS, would you guys use the same guide setups? What size running snakes/running guides would you use?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster