I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Winn grips... Someone sell me on them, im unsure...
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 09:57PM

Anthony Unger: I am talking abut the grips, not the tape"

"Wish i had known that , i have no experience with the grips , the tapes outstanding though .

Anthony Unger: " I have a customer who is interested in them but Not sure "

OK, as long as you're clear about it.

Anthony Unger: "I agree that golfers use it to reduce feel and i'm against that .

As far as the regular Winn Grip solid handles are concerned that could be the case, i have no experience with those but i have hit golf balls with the Winn overwrap tape and there is plenty of vibration , same deal with the tennis rackets you feel strong vibration you just have a far superior grip . If you're going to use it make sure nothing soft is underneath it , that will really kill vibration . One thing i can say with 100% certainty is cork tape kills vibration on a far higher level than the Winn Overwrap does.

Anthony Unger: " I do Not know anyone who has a rod with winn grips so i couldn't borrow one"

No big deal , you did say that you have been out of service since you posted the first time and that you will be out of service again in 10 minutes which is unfortunate but just a part of life , the good news is that you did say you will be back in service soon & to await your reply so thats what we will be doing , i'm still on standby for Nick who said to standby for questions regarding running guides and that was over two weeks ago .

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 10:49PM

I've been using Winn grips for the last two years both open water and ice fishing. I don't believe they are less sensitive or dampen vibration. I fish walleye tournaments in some cold and wet conditions and what I like the most is how the rod stays put, with gloves and bare handed. The other thing I have found is is my hand is more relaxed because of the tacky feel. When cork is cold and with gloves tend to be a bit slippery at times. I use both bait casters and spinning rods. My fishing partner was a bit unsure as well so I gave him one of my rods for a day and he was convinced as well. One thing to consider is if the rod will be going in and out of a rod holder a lot and if so a split grip is not the best choice. The one piece grips work better for that application.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2019 11:25PM

I should have worded that diffrently.. Not feel, but impact... i can see how adding a thick polymer wouldnt affect feel as much.. Hmm... This is a hard explination of thought to constrew through words.. Alright.. At work we use brass hammers to make gears true to the thousands.. Like a 4" thick 56" round gear running true to about .004.. Thats alot of shock on your wrist with a crappy hard plastic handle.. Adding a paper towel wrapped around the handle on the other hand, reduces the zhock significantly, but still allows you to feel the vibrations while gliding the head of the hammer across the face of the part.. It's verry nominal, and adds next to no weight...

Im guessing winn grips are along the same line? I figured they were a little heavier.. Again i dont know much about them

Date: March 07, 2019 11:37PM

A paper towel is not a bad comparison as far as the impact on sensitivity , you get the idea , that applies to the overwrap tape which is 1.1 mm thick , the solid full handles may be a completely different matter altogether. Purchasing a 44 inch overwrap in the color of your choice for $9.99 will not break the bank and will give you and your customers an idea to whether they like it or not . Even if you remove it, it will still be usable as it's sticky side remains relatively sticky even if removed.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 11:47PM

I like the feel of Winn grips but won't use them anymore. The skins are wearing off and they are looking pretty rough. Used them on fly, surfcasting, and bottom rods. All show wear after one season, but the bottom fishing rod is the worst. Luckily my customers prefer cork, shrink and EVA. Otherwise I would be replacing grips.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 12:15AM

For weight comparisons, I just weighed some split grip casting rear grips all in the 3 5/8 to 4” range.
Winn grip 4” - 12 gm
All cork grip 4” - 11 gm
Cork & ruberized cork trim 4’ - 16 gm
CFX carbon fiber 3 5/8” - 9 gm
Batson Carbon fiber 3 3/4” - 13 gm
Batson Carbon fiber 4” - 13 gm
So the Winn grips are right in there with the other types of grips as far as weight is concerned.
For durability, in my experience it would be carbon fiber, cork, and then Winn grips.

Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 12:18AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-14.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 12:39AM

Norm,

From what I've seen so far I would agree with that statement. I like them better than EVA. Can't wait to test my CF grips out this year. Really like them so far on my builds as far as feel. I've always been a fan of cork. But proof is on the water and I'm a minimalist. A rod is a tool not an art piece.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 01:21AM

I installed winn MHX grips from mudhole,split grip style,on a Bushido blank that I use for bass and smaller striped bass cranking. I love them. Everyone who saw the rod said they lliked them a lot.I will be using them on future builds . I fully endorse them and the durability and comfort are awesome, easy to install.and many color and configuration options out there.

Robert

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 01:38AM

I knkw the paper towel example was a poor comparison, but its all i had at the moment lol

Thanks norm, as always you are the man.. My client is looking for a ultralight, and a bass rig.. So ill express my concerns. About weight.. Probably go CF like originally planned..

Im going to pick up some winn tape with my next supply run.. Your right that it wont break the bank.. I just dont have much of a bank to work with..

I fully agree that a rod js a tool, and if they dont hold up as well as other materials it might be worth it to pass... Atleast for this particular build.. I understand they have thier place, and wont write them off just yet..

Although a rod is a tool, theres nothing wrong with a little jazz, full functionally and preformance is important, but sometimes so is the look.. Depending on the person and build.. I personally fish both.. My stealth rod is exactly that.. Slick, light, accurate, minimal with a touch of metallic.. Its my go to rod.. But i also really like my catfish rod.. Its all jazzed up.. But its designed for heavy lifting and sitting at night along a river bank waiting.. No need for sensitivity... Every build has a place, as long with every component.

Date: March 08, 2019 01:52AM

Anthony Unger:

" But i also really like my catfish rod.. Its all jazzed up, but its designed for heavy lifting and sitting at night along a river bank waiting."

You use your ultimate bling rod for night fishing where nobody could see it .......maybe it's one of those glow in the dark bling rods .

Be careful fishing at night alone , iv'e fished overnights for decades and had some very terrifying experiences , not with fish or animals i'm talking very scary people, be alert and scan your surroundings throughout the night.

Date: March 08, 2019 02:27AM

I carry a bond arms derrenger, it takes .45 long colt or 2 1/2" 410 shells.. Accurate to 24 ft. I started carrying tht after i crossed paths with a mama bear and 2 cubs.. Canal on one side, river on the other... Someone was looking out for me that night, the train went by and blew its horn.. Scared them in the other direction... Its a belittling feeling when 2 eyes about 10" apart go from about 3ish feet off the ground to around 6 1/2'.. Having a little over under with a 2 inch barrel might not seem like much.. But that thing is verry loud, and creates about a 2' ball of fire..

That in mind, i have run across a few drifters back in the woods a couple of times thankfully no trouble..

When at night, i either stick closer to the towns anymore, or make sure i have a buddy with me.. We all made a pact to never fish the lehigh alone after this year.. It blows my mind how people dont understand the dangers of rivers.. Too many deaths in 1 year for my liking....

I appreciate the concern... And warning... The rod doesnt glow in the dark, but it does look fricken awesome under the blood tracker light i use...

By the way, when night fishing, alot of guys switch to the red light... Bugs still go after you, and the fish still see it... Get a headlamp with a blood tracker... Bugs stay away. Fish dont mind it.. And it put off more light.. Reflects metallics better too.. Try it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 02:32AM by Anthony Unger.

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 10:57AM

It might just be me but I don't get this whole "sensitivity" thing. I've never felt a Bass breathe on my bait but I've heard that you can. When I get some interest, I see the line jump, I feel the line jump, I feel the weight of the fish, I see the line moving. In short, I know when I have a strike and its time to jack-em. I guess there is a sensitivity factor, not disputing it but it just seems overdone to me. I am doing my first build with the Winn Grips and I'm doing it cause they look good, they feel good, and they make me happy. Just be happy and not so sensitive! :)

Date: March 08, 2019 11:10AM

Ha.. Well worded..

I have to agree with you to some extent with bass.. Fortunately the build in question isnt for bass, its for skitish brookies in small streams..

When it comes to bass fishing i usually get a fairly agressive take, not saying i havent gotten a incredible take or 2 when trout fishing.. But its usually such a gently tap you think your bait tapped a rock.. Sensitivity is a must.. Expecially when your like me or my client.. There could be a beautiful pool, you can see the fish just hangin out.. One breaks off and nlw and again grabs something to eat, go baxk to the pack.. But noooo.. There we are.. Dilogently fishing that 1 foot patch of fast moving water between 2 rocks that feed that pool.. Just knowing theres 1 fish there... Thats where sensitivity comes into play.. I guess we fish areas like that becouse its more of a chalenge... I dunno.. I will say this though.. While fishing that same pool on the fly, i had a #16 green drake tied on.. And had a 13" golden trout jump 3' clean out of the water and catch my fly mid air... No need for sensitivity there! But wow what a rush!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 11:17AM

i think sensitiity is most important to feel the bottom composition say with a jig or weighted worm or to feel the blades quit turning or miss a beat with a spinnerbait or crankbait..

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 11:28AM

With a spinner i can tell by the weight of the line, or the slight osilation of the tip if the blade stops turning... But i do agree.. With proper sensitivly you can almost map the river bottom by what you feel.. Id hate to loose that by a grip choice...

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 12:54PM

Anthony I see your point on the Brookies and Not having fished Trout for many years I concur on the sensitivity for that. As far as feeling bottom composition, I have yet to drag a football jig or weighted worm across rocks or gravel and not know it. It just has that unmistakable feel and blades or cranks and the vibration they produce, well....the same. One of the most distinct "feels" is when cranking and feeling and seeing the rod tip vibrate and then everything stops when a Bass picks up the bait and the line goes slack. Unmistakable, even with your eyes closed, but yes that is Bass fishing.

Sounds to me Anthony, like you should catch more 13" Goldens that jump 3" in the air. Problem Solved!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 01:20PM

One of the best days ive had fishing o, the stream

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 04:49PM

I love this place! Also fortunate enough to live 15 min. from Anthony who thinks at about 900 miles per hour. What a blast! On the grip issue, I realized that when bass, trout, walleye fishing with casting and spinning rods, unless I'm making a two handed cast, grips are purely cosmetic.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-23.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 06:21PM

Or simply a good balancing component...

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:39AM

Winn Grips are for For Golf Club Grip's and can't say their better their as well. They simply don't Last!!! -'Period'- And That's Why most Serious Golfers, Who Golf's 3 Leagues or more a year, Have new Grips Installed on their most frequently used clubs every Spring???? - That is a HUGE mid winter and early spring BUSINESS for {Golf - Pro Shops around me}- I have personally visited them!! In my Area!! Including talking to the fellows in my church's golf league. WHY because they don't Last?? And No I'm not saying all were Winn Grips, Just to get that straight. But when I went to a busy Golf shop and talked to their 'Club Technician' Last year he walked me over to his recycle box, And told me to look thru it, And yep! Their were plenty of old Winn-Grips in there for sure, With the top skin finnish wore thru and some even taped over with their wrap and quite frankly Looking like S#%*!! About the same as other brands in the same box. I built 10 rods with {Winn Grips} over the last 2 years, I built those Rod's with the understanding that If there was a problem it was theirs, Not mine! As they the customer wanted to try them. To date I have redone 7 out of 10. Either grip skin finnish wear looking like crap, Not holding up, Lack of sensitivity, Stickiness were the person complained it would annoyingly grab their jacket and or shirt when the butt was slide in between the arm and body, Or were damaged either by boat storage and or rod holders. I will not build with them, I'll send them packing down the road to someone else. I build with Pride and Craftsmanship and stand behind my work and use proven components. If your thing is building mid price Generic spin or casting rods for resale for a tackle shop! And don't have to deal with or look your customers in the eye! By all means use them! There cheap fast and easy. As some here do. But Winn currently does not have a long term proven product as we speak, My suggestion to Winn would be Get Rid of the Skin!! Or Improve it!! And I don't see That in the future. It's good for a newbie build. That's about it. Currently it Just Does Not Last under {Everyday} use That my customers put their rod's thru. I prefer to sit down and discuss my customers, needs, Curant reel use and future reel use, His preferred set-up's and needs. His choice is Cork or Carbon fiber layup or EVA for trolling Rods. Their plenty of good Cork out their, The problem is the consumer wanting Clear No Pit Cork!! Well guess what? Cork is a natural product of mother nature. Very little is free of defects we call Pit's. I and many others personally find Clear cork pretty dam Boring to say the least. Pits give cork a non slip surface and are a thing of beauty it gives the cork its Character . I own all of my dad's rod's and 2 of his fathers, And some reel's from the 20's He grew up here living on Lake Saint Clair as a boy and Detroit river as a young man, And used them every day to put food on the Table. And Guess what? All his rods cork handles are Intact and have Pit's in them! None are close to being clear cork! But all are intact and fully useful even today. Is that a surprize? Nope not at all.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster