I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perfect fit Handle
Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 06, 2019 02:40PM

Looking for some info on the Fuji Perfect fit handle. Not sure where to mount the reel seat. My dilemma is the butt grip is 4.24" long and the rear grip is 3.5". As I think I understand, the distance the reel seat is supposed to be from the rear of the blank is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10.25 to 10.5 inches. Using a 7' blank there is not much exposed blank left between the grips. Considering winding checks, if I mount the seat at 10.5 only gives me an inch or 2 of exposed blank between grips. I love these grips and this is my first build with them, and plan on using many more so I want to get the dimensions right and not have to mount the seat too far forward just to get some blank to show. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perfect fit Handle
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2019 07:16PM

Get the 2 3/8” butt grip, and you can then put the reel seat any where you want it. You can still use the perfect fit hardware with it. I personally think the 4 1/2” butt grip is too long, I have used it for a rear grip.
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2019 07:22PM

You can use a shorter butt piece like a 2" and it will give you more exposed blank or you could not use a rear grip, just a fore grip works better for a spinning rod. It will look a little strange until you get used to it but that is what, in my opinion works best for a spinning rod. Put a pretty winding check on the back end of the real seat. Tape it up and see if you can live with it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2019 10:06PM

Stan,
When I look through all of the catalog's, the only thing that I see that is labeled "pefect fit" are the pf trim rings from Fuji. Perhpas someone could list a link to the handle and reel seat of which the post is about?

Having said that, I see no reason that is you wish, you could have 27 inches between the reel seat and the rod butt. Just put the reel seat at 30 inches from the butt and you would have that much room between the reel seat and the rod butt.

I personally don't like a rear grip any shorter than 4 1/2 inches. I always want a grip that is as long as the palm of my hand is wide.

If you want your reel seat at 10 inches from the butt, and use a 4/12 inch rear grip and a 2 inch butt cap, you would have 5 1/2 inches between the rear of the rear grip and the front of the butt cap.

Your choice.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 10:38AM

I presume you are talking about a casting rod. Place the reel seat based on what you think are the proper ergonomics based on balance, clothing clearance to the butt (like at the elbow during some fishing maneuver). Then what you have left is what you have left.

I personally would not use a butt grip that long. You might as well just do a full grip, not a split. As mentioned above, the shorter rear grip works well for most people. With the hand on the casting reel, exc for "heavy duty" rods, the shorter rear grip works well. That is a matter of personal preference, some like Roger, like the longer one.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 12:38PM

I like a longer butt grip so I use the 4-inch grip often. I figure the area in between is slick and hard and not much use other than the spec decal so I don't care if it's a short distance. There is no rule about it so sometimes it might be 1.5 inches and others up to 3.5 inches. It depends on the build.

The WINN Grips we offer are not Perfect Fit items. Perfect Fit refers to the trim. People seem to think it's a package deal when Perfect Fit will fit almost ALL Fuji seats and MOST grips and our WINN grips are tailored to fit Fuji seats - which almost ALL grips are. There's a versatility in these products that MANY people are missing. I suppose that's my fault. I'll work on it!

Here's a couple of rods showing the long butt grip. The pic in the yard I took yesterday of I rod I just finished. Not the kind of pics I usually post - but you asked.;)

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 07, 2019 03:05PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got it figured out. I placed the seat at 10.5" from the rear of the blank and that still gave me roughly 2.5" of exposed blank which actually looks and feels pretty good, and is plenty.

Lance, I do have the components with a shorter butt grip and will be using it on my next build which is a spinning rod.

Michael, it is a casting rod, I forgot to mention that. I like the looks and feel of the longer grip so I am glad I went with it but yes you are right personal preference.

And Jim, thanks for your input. I have the poster from Anglers Resource and used it to order all the components. . Now that you mention it, I see that it is the trim parts that are the Perfect Fit but man that poster is very helpful in determining what is needed for the handle.

Roger, go to Anglers Resource and look at what they have. If you send them an email requesting it, they will send you a large poster that shows everything needed

Still learning about this addiction called Rod Building and having a blast so thanks for everyones thoughts and comments. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures so I can show what I've got so any help there would be great!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 10:30AM

Thanks, Stan. That poster was quite a chore but it is a great help if you take it to the bathroom and study it a little bit. The poster is free and we even ship it free to anyone who needs it. And again, Perfect Fit is not designed specifically for any one thing. Like any other trim product it will work for many seats and many grips. It's like Matagi - but closer. Ha!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 03:48PM

Hello Jim.

I looked on the site and could not find how to request a poster (I lost mine to hurricane Florence).

Thanks for your help.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 04:21PM

Robert here is the link. Email and ask for the poster

info info@anglersresource.net

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2019 04:42PM

Hello Stan.

Thanks for the link E-Mail Sent!

Thanks Again

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 08, 2019 05:08PM

My pleasure Robert

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 09:05AM

Yes, thanks for the reference and link to the chart. Much appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster