I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help finding a short ultralight blank
Posted by: Scott Degen (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 06:43PM

Need some help. In the past I've made ultralight crappie rods for myself and a couple friends using a shorter st croix 5'0" fast action ultralight blank (3S50ULF). I took some time off from rod building recently, until now, when I planned to build this same rod for my dad as a retirement gift-- only to find that St Croix isn't selling blanks anymore! Now that my world is upside down, I am having a hard time finding a fitting replacement that's still under 5'6". Ideally I'd find the same type of thing-- 5' 0", ultralight, fast action (and higher quality). Always stuck to st croix for my more quality builds so shopping around is quite a new scene for me! Can anyone recommend a quality blank that would fit the bill?

Thanks,
Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 06:44PM by Scott Degen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help finding a short ultralight blank
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 07:07PM

RodGeeks blanks are St. Croix blanks .

[rodgeeks.com]

Unfortunately at this time RodGeeks does not offer blanks with the SC III material , just SC II , SC IV and blanks labeled as St. Croix in the SC V . I have been a long time user of St. Croix products so i decided to try RodGeeks blanks and they're indeed St. Croix through and through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 07:17PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Scott Degen (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 07:20PM

Thanks-- I've been looking at their lineup and was thinking their numbering seemed like st croix's.

However, it seems like they are being slow to roll out the st croix line, as I had trouble finding a 5 foot ultralight option. So unfortunately I'm still looking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 07:28PM by Scott Degen.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 07:36PM

If you thought RodGeeks was planning to roll out St. Croixs whole line of blanks you will be waiting forever , only the most requested blanks by rod builders is being considered at this point . The only difference between many RodGeeks blanks & St. Croix blanks is the label & color options.

Anyways good luck in your quest.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 11:25PM

Just because St. Croix isn't in the blank business doesn't mean there aren't some blanks out there. Angler's Workshop lists them and I bet others do too.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 06, 2019 08:45AM

North Fork Composites FW 501-1(SM) seems like it fits the bill, 5' UL F. Rainshadow has a one and two piece version of a 5'4" UL F blank, REVS54UL-2SB and REVS54UL-SB.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2019 08:51AM

Here is a link to a great line-up of MHX Ultralight Rod Blanks - [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2019 10:07AM

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The Batson rod blanks will work well for your application.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: March 06, 2019 12:56PM

If you search, Ultra Light rod blank suggestion, with all dates, there is a description of Batson REVS54UL, that might work for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster