I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt reaming
Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 02:32PM

First I just want to thank all the contributors to this site that help all the rod builders out there. I am relatively new at rod building and find the site to be of Immense help to all. 2 things I have questions about. Reaming a butt cap. I am aware that drills work well and using them backwards on cork or EVA seems the best thing. I am a hobby builder and don't have a shop, I ream with my reamers or drill bits in a 3/8 chuck cordless drill, but 1/2 inch bit cant chuck up in my drill. What are others doing to ream bigger than 1/2?
Also what are guys using to clean the blank prior to epoxy on wraps, blank etc, particularly after first coat. I find some lint or little specs of debris and just wanted to know if others have a way to clean the surface prior to application.

Thanks again to all who share their knowledge, I for one am grateful for all I have learned from others here!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt reaming
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 04:01PM

Stan

Maybe I'm having an off day, but I cannot visualize exactly what you want to ream to greater than 1/2".

However, with regard to cleaning a blank, my practice is to inspect a blank upon receipt and clean with a light wipe down with alcohol, the 90% rubbing type. If a section of blank's surface needs subsequent cleaning, such as to remove a finger print, I again use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) sparingly. To remove dust, lint, etc. either a gentle puff through a straw or a gentle pat with blue painter's tape usually does the trick.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 04:01PM

Stan

Maybe I'm having an off day, but I cannot visualize exactly what you want to ream to greater than 1/2".

However, with regard to cleaning a blank, my practice is to inspect a blank upon receipt and clean with a light wipe down with alcohol, the 90% rubbing type. If a section of blank's surface needs subsequent cleaning, such as to remove a finger print, I again use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) sparingly. To remove dust, lint, etc. either a gentle puff through a straw or a gentle pat with blue painter's tape usually does the trick.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 05:12PM

You want to enlarge a butt cap a little bit , if it's rubber what i typically do is use a metal rod, ( Solid or hollow) it doesn't matter thats slightly larger in diameter than the inside dimensions of the butt cap and heat the end of the metal rod with a torch . I then carefully align the butt cap over the end of the rod and slowly push down , then remove it . That is one way that has always worked for me but the easiest way is to purchase a butt cap of the correct size in the first place.

Agree with the others on how to clean the blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 11:51PM

A soft bristle brush remove dust and lint from blanks, or wraps very well, leaving no residue behind.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2019 10:10AM

Spray down the blank with windex and use a paper towel to wipe down the blank.

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 06, 2019 01:00PM

Thanks for your reply Donald. I guess most of the blanks I use are a bit less than half, maybe I need to measure a little better, 9/16 does seem a bit large. About the cleaning, I was wondering about after applying the first coat of epoxy. I seem to see many little white specs of something and didn't want to use something that would affect the first coat. As some have suggested a brush, straw or iso seems to work well. thanks again all for the tips!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster