I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acid wrap
Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-159.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2019 06:21PM

Static tested my first spiral wrap rod last night. Was planning on going a simple 0-90-180 but the micro guides I'm using will not allow me to do so, line touching the rod. So I ended up going a 0-60-120-180. Is this a common occurrence with this? Do you guys have a preference for rolling right or left? If so why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid wrap
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 06:32PM

I've always used the simple spiral, no problems. The only reason I know for selecting which way to spiral is to end up with the reel crank on top when the rod is placed on the boat deck. So the reel crank and the first guide are both up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2019 08:58PM

Keep in mind that the 0-90-180 and the Simple Spiral are not the same thing.

Check your distance between the 0 and 180 guide. They shouldn't be more than maybe 7 to 10 inches apart from each other on the Simple Spiral.

If you are using the 0-90-180 and making the 90 part of the regular spacing, you may have a line rubbing problem depending on the height of the guides being used.

Date: March 04, 2019 10:44PM

I should have called the guide that is up when the rod is on the deck as the second, or added guide, in the simple spiral. It is not the first guide.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 12:44AM

Jacob,
Fine.
I wrap all of my spiral wrapped rods using the same guide alignment as you posted. It works well.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-159.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 11:11AM

How many guides do you normally go with on a 7ft rod? I think I have too many on it now which is an easy fix. I have a total of 10 on it. I need to get it out and do some test casting with it before I wrap it.

Date: March 05, 2019 12:03PM

Jacob,

You should only have enough guides on the rod so that the line stays in reasonable proximity to the rod blank when the rod blank is bent while fighting a fish.

Be safe

Date: March 05, 2019 12:13PM

Jacob,

You should only have enough guides on the rod so that the line stays in reasonable proximity to the rod blank when the rod blank is bent while fighting a fish.

Be safe

Date: March 05, 2019 01:18PM

Jacob, keep in mind that with the line running below the blank you need not worry so much about the line contacting the rod (most of us worry too much about that anyway) and can simply go with your static test and possibly that extra guide on the simple spiral. The static test will look different for a fast action than a slower action, and the slower action most likely will require fewer guides since the blank is not bending as sharply anywhere as it does on a fast or xfast.

A 7 foot rod generally requires 8 guides + the tiptop and the possible extra for simple spiral. BUT, since it's a spiral you most likely can get by with 7, or maybe even 6. Your static test and your judgment will tell you.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-19.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2019 12:33AM

I played with it some more got rid of a couple guides. Changed placement of a couple and changed angles. 0-90-180 with the 90 just being a bumper # 5. Slight bit of tenting between guides now but the distance between line and rod stays very even. On the bumper it doesn't even touch the guide when the line is tight but under load it does touch the ring. So now I can see how you can go 0-180. I just refuse to let the line touch the rod. Probably not a big deal but personally I don't like the idea or possibility of that happening maybe I will learn with time and experience. If I used larger stripper guide it would give that security clearance.

Date: March 07, 2019 07:42AM

How far apart are your 0 and first 180 degree guides?

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-14.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2019 08:03PM

20" Tom with a bumper at 6" from the stripper.

Date: March 09, 2019 06:36PM

That's not a Simple Spiral wrap - you're still doing a standard 0 - 90 -180. Not the same thing - you don't have a "bumper" guide, you have a standard 90 degree transition guide.

Try this, take the 90 degree guide you have now and turn it to the 180 axis. Then put a guide at 90 degrees between that one and the 0 axis guide. This will take care of any line rubbing problem and remove any possible side load from the 90 degree guide.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-132.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2019 09:34PM

Thanks Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster