I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly guides
Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 05:09PM

I'm a beginner rod builder. Have built a handful of ultralight trout rods. I'm working on my first flyrod. 7'6" 3 wt. 4 peice. Mhx native series. For guides I'm going 9 plus tip top. 8, 3, then 1/0 to the tip, does this sound about right or should I go 2/0 to the tip. Thanks for any input, Tim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly guides
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 05:57PM

Tim

By 8 I assume you meant 8 mm, which is OK.

I do not skip two (2) guide sizes, and 8 mm stripper followed by a size 2 snake then 1/0s to the tip top is an option.

A better option would be a low frame 8 mm stripper followed by a size 1 snake then 2/0s to the tip top.

Some think fewer and larger guides work better and others opt for more and smaller guides.

My thinking is so long as the static load test is OK there is little difference between 8 vs 9 guides. For a 3 weight rod i'd be sorely tempted to use size 2/0 snakes PROVIDED I knew the owner and that his or her line to leader knots doubled back over the line would easily pass thru the 2/0 snakes, else I'd use 1/0s.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 06:34PM

Why not single foot wire guides for min weight and why worry about knots through the guides, just keep the knot out of the guides? Certainly not a big deal, but just wondering.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 07:13PM

My recommendation is the 8mm stripper followed by all single foot light wire guides that will pass your line to leader knot all the way to the tip top. It is a small light rod......keep it light!

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 07:20PM

Michael

You are correct that knots ought not be in the guides while fishing. It can be a formula for disaster.

I was referring to passing the line to leader knot, doubled over the line, when rigging the rod and not when fishing the rod. It's not as much an issue these days with loop to loop connections. Nail knots can be a problem.

Date: March 04, 2019 08:18PM

I am using single foot snakes, with a Fuji LN stripper. I have purchased the snakes in multi sizes. Pac bay brand. I prefer the smaller ones and just wanted some imput. Also have the standard tip top. I jumped in deep on this one as I am in the process of building the grip from birch. The blank is the brook trout finish and my wraps will be white, black, and orange. This build is for a good friend of mine and will be used mainly for mountain stream natives, thus the theme. I may even attempt a small feather inlay on the butt. Oh boy.

Date: March 04, 2019 09:55PM

A little confusing Tim! Single foot and snake are not the same.

Date: March 04, 2019 10:06PM

I stand corrected, Phil. I am referring to single foot wire guides.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 01:01AM

LOOK at "" Snake brand "" guides universal the foot is bent to the blank [ contour ] an the feet are some of the best finished on the market, a little more $$ but not bad

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 09:56AM

The leader-to-line connection usually ends up in the guide train when a fish is being landed. Even a modest-size fish will pop the 6X tippet commonly used with 3 wt. rods if a knot encounters any obstruction. A snake guide with the same nominal opening as a single foot guide will allow a larger knot or line loop to pass because of the geometry of the snake guide, and snake guides are less prone to catching on branches, etc. Before you assume a single-foot guide train will save weight you might measure or research the weight of a set of single-foot guides versus the weight of a set of (smaller) snake guides.

Date: March 05, 2019 11:47AM

It is not just the weight of the guide! There is also the weight of an additional wrap and epoxy.. Additionally, he already has the guides as he states above.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.net.bhntampa.com)
Date: March 05, 2019 04:15PM

Keeping the line from slapping against the rod helps with feeding line during casting. My experience is that your guide setup is a bit too small even for a 3 wt. I would use at least a 10 mm stripper and would not use the 1/0 or 2/0 snakes at the top. A very light tip top is a good thing to use. A good thing about larger guides on a fly rod is that they let the line hang a bit further from the rod. I personally use single foots for the top few guides on a flared even if I use double foot snakes the rest of the way down., I also think that a short light rod needs to be able to pass the leader connection easily through the guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster