I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U-40 Ferrule Lube
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: March 04, 2019 08:17AM

I have been doing a lot of research on ferrules over the last few days. Most of the information (a lot from this forum) is from 15-20 years ago, some more recent. it seems the consensus then was no bees wax and no paraffin, ever. U-40 Ferrule Lube seemed to be a recommended product as it is teflon based, not a wax product, and as a result does not build up on the ferrule and does not attract particles that may harm the ferrule. Is this still a recommended product? Is it still available? The link for this product on the company website for does not appear to be active.

What I am looking for is a product that will prevent the ferrules from getting stuck together, and will help prevent the ferrules from coming apart during a cast (I know that seems contradictory...) I am using only modern graphite rods, some tip over butt, and some spigot ferrules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U-40 Ferrule Lube
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2019 08:20AM

I don't believe that product is being made any longer.

If your ferrules are properly fitted and clean, they will not come apart when casting, but will come apart when you wish them to. Make sure you are joining them properly - mis-align by 90 degrees, push together until just snug, and then twist into alignment with further pushing force. To dis-join, do the opposite.

Date: March 04, 2019 09:03AM

Thanks, is there any advantage to using the product if I come across any?

Date: March 04, 2019 09:19AM

Yes. Longer wearing ferrule surfaces.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 04:54PM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, is there any advantage to using the
> product if I come across any?

U40 ferrule lube and Renzetti ferrule lube is available on E Bay , i have always been loyal to a very thin almost transparent film of heated beeswax that can't even be seen once applied . Paraffin is terrible i would never use it but the truth is you really don't need to apply anything on multi piece blanks made today , the sections join perfectly and once set are very snug .

i have had rod manufacturers send me a small tub of a paraffin based product with the purchase of a multi piece rod , rarely ever used it though as i am exceptionally careful about going over the male & female sections with a fine tooth comb before joining them , a grain of sand can ruin your rod thats why it's always been said to never assemble a two piece rod on the beach . I haven't used anything on the ferrules in years , haven't needed to . I keep all sections in soft flannel sleeves .

Anyways, like i said, check E Bay if you want to purchase liquid based ferrule lube , i saw just 1 left .

Date: March 04, 2019 05:59PM

Just to add to what Herb offered, the Renzetti Ferrule Lube was made by U40 and is the same product.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2019 09:41PM

I wonder if a Teflon spray would work. I have been using a wax product but very minimal.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 06, 2019 02:33PM

Try pressing the male ferrule against the side of your nose and rotating the ferrule 180 degrees.

Date: March 07, 2019 07:58AM

Ha! That is the technique that my grandpa taught me to lubricate a screw before turning it into a tight fit. But I would be concerned that you inadvertently may be introducing many potential particulates or contaminants into the ferrule that way. In a pinch maybe.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 10:34AM

Phil,
10-4.

That is what I have always done with 2-piece rods. Works well.

Date: March 07, 2019 10:36AM

Skin oil is not recommended for use on integral graphite to graphite ferrules. Go with a clean, dry fit and you should be fine.

Date: March 07, 2019 06:56PM

If the male end of the ferrule is painted is it still considered a graphite to graphite ferrule? Still ok to use the U-40 lube?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 08:47PM

The answer is "Yes" it's still a graphite to graphite ferrule , as far as using U 40 ferrule lube i can't help you there since there has been absolutely no need for any type of lube on any of my two piece rod ferrules even after years of hard usage , still have a rock solid fit and come apart just as easy as the day i received them.

One thing to keep in mind , while it does seem to be a useful product the fact that it has been discontinued should tell you something , if anglers were having ferrule issues and needed some after market product that worked to prolong or maintain ferrule performance you can bet the house there would be many different ferrule lubes on the market to this day .

Fact is, it's virtually non existent . These days ferruling is as good as it gets .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2019 09:53PM

The only time I have ever used a ferrule lube was when the ferrules were metal. This was to give a snug fit and to prevent them from sticking together making the rod easier to separate. The modern integral tip over butt ferrules really don’t need a ferrule lube, in fact the lube can collect grit and cause unnecessary wear and tear.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster