I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying decals
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:56PM

I’m finishing up my first rod. Today I put the decal on and as much as I thought I was taking my time and getting air bubbles out I still had a few. I tried heating up the decal and use the burnishing tool to smooth things out. No luck. Mud Hole is sending me a new decal. Any suggestions to make it go better? I was also thinking of just using a quill pen to inscribe the rod specs.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying decals
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:47PM

Mike,
One thing that helps quite a bit is to take the decal - before removing the film - and wrap it around the butt end of a drill bit of a size that is somewhat smaller than the rod blank where you are going to be applying the decal.

Hold the decal in this position for a while before taking it off, removing the film and applying the decal.

By wrapping the decal around a shape of a size that is smaller than the desired final location will pre shape the decal to minimize any air under the decal; once the decal is installed it in its final position.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 09:48PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 03, 2019 01:12AM

Mike,
Your bubbles under the decal may be a result of trapping air from an uneven or porous blank. Consider the process I have adopted for perfect decal installation;
1.) Install trim bands/borders as desired.
2.) Apply a thin but level coat of thread finish over the bands and the area between where the decal will be placed.
3.) Let finish cure for more than 24hrs but less than 48hrs. 30-36hrs is ideal.
4.) Apply decal by applying pressure from the center working outward. I assume you know how to avoid touching the adhesive backing.
5.) Spiral-wrap the area as tightly as possible with a continuous length of 1/2in X .003 plastic sheeting. Some builders thread-wrap the area. Leave overnight to 24hrs.
6.) Remove securing wrap and overcoat with 1-3 applications of thread finish.
Applying a thin, prior coat of finish to the blank will seal any porosity on the surface of the blank and will afford an excellent surface for the decal to bond to. Actually, multiple pre-coats will suspend the decal off the blank and produce a raised “shadow “effect. Wrapping the decal with plastic or thread will insure a positive bond to the finish-coated blank and will assist the flat decal conforming to the curved shape of the blank. This procedure is the accumulation of listening to many qualified builders on this site and employing what I thought would be best combined with my own observations and druthers. It works for me every time.
Good Luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 06:56AM

except for line ( 5 )
And the first step of line ( 6 )
I do the same as Mr. Talmo

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 07:41AM

Mark - I’ll try your method. Thanks

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 03:27PM

I am not familiar with the "Mud Hole" decals but the "Decal Connections" instructions have worked perfectly for me .

To Apply the Decal:

Lift the carrier sheet from the backing. The decal will peel up with the top sheet.

Place the decal down on the rod in the desired position.

Start from the middle and rub the bubbles from there to the edge. You may rub firmly or take a finishing tool and rub over the carrier sheet.

Peel the carrier sheet away and the decal remains in place. Your fingers never need to touch the decal because you have the carrier sheet to hold on to it.

Once applied, you are ready to apply your finishing coat of epoxy over the decal.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 04:29PM

I find that if I apply the decal upon a coat of wrap epoxy, as soon as the epoxy will no longer fingerprint (test the remaining epoxy in the mixing cup not that on the rod) it adheres better the edges disappear and have never had an edge lift. Rubbing the top carrier sheet with a smooth round tool helps. Never had to wrap it after applying.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 05:48PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find that if I apply the decal upon a coat of
> wrap epoxy, as soon as the epoxy will no longer
> fingerprint (test the remaining epoxy in the
> mixing cup not that on the rod) it adheres better
> the edges disappear and have never had an edge
> lift. Rubbing the top carrier sheet with a smooth
> round tool helps. Never had to wrap it after
> applying.

I have done it exactly the same way but only with the Decal connection decals , "Mud Hole" decals may be slightly different and may not come with the extra carrying sheet applied to them .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster