I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Set up help for turning seats and handles.
Posted by: Mike Daigle (184.151.31.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:12PM

Hi everyone.
I recently purchased a shopsmith Mark V with primary intention of using it as a lathe. My primary use will be handles and reel seats, and I'm thinking I may also get into pens, but that is an afterthought.
I am wondering what I should be looking at getting in the way of chucks and chisels and such. I know I will need an adapter to to from the shopsmith to a normal lathe chuck, but am more interested in knowing what kind of chuck I should be looking at getting.
Also what chisels are most reccomended for turning seats? I have a set of large chisels that I got with the shopsmith, but thinking they will be better saved for larger woodworking projects. I've seen a 3 pc set of pen turning chisels and thinking of picking up that set. Would they be ideal for turning seats? [www.busybeetools.com] . Thats the set I'm refering to.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Set up help for turning seats and handles.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2019 06:31PM

I don't like the "mini" turning tools. Stick with the full size tools - they can turn small parts without any trouble. You need a roughing gouge and a bedan and/or perhaps a parting tool. That's really all you need to turn seat inserts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:53PM

Mike,
Are you planning on using your shopsmith for anything else besides these turning chores?

If not, you might be better served by returning the shop smith and getting a conventional wood lathe.

The issue is the chuck and head stock on the shop smith, not being very compatible to use as a normal wood lathe. One of the principal issues is the fact that most of the shop smiths do not have a hollow head stock shaft. I am not familiar with the Mark V, and if this unit has a hollow shaft, than ignore my previous comment.

But, with respect to a chuck, a regular 3 jaw 3 or 4 inch chuck works well.
But some of the newer - wood working specific chucks also do an excellent job as well.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:03PM

Mike
I purchased a "c" series lathe chuck from Penn State Industries. It was on sale at a very nice price at the time, and also came with a couple add-ons. I also purchased accessory jaws and a chuck adapter that was labeled "Shopsmith". I am not familiar with the Shopsmith lathe but understand that it has a 5/8" spindle shaft size. My rod lathe also has a 5/8" shaft so this worked out perfectly for me. I can transfer the chuck from my wood lathe to my rod lathe easily. The "c" series chuck is a well made, quality chuck, available for less money than the fancier chucks. The jaws are easily changed. I am very happy with my purchase. I turn cork grips and also turn some acrylic pen blanks for reel inserts (strictly hobby status - not commercial production). and this chuck fills the bill for all of my turning needs quite nicely!
Rog

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 03:08PM

Mike,
I purchased a shop smith long before I got into rod building . . but I am glad I have it.
The only chuck I use (for turning rod handles) is the basic chuck that holds drill bits.
a 3/8" mandrel (or smaller 1/4" if building smaller rods) and a ball bearing live tail stock is all you need.
The hollow head or tail stock mentioned by Roger on conventional lathes, I believe is needed to bore the handle material.
With the shop smith you just use the horizontal boring position of the machine.
My experience is with EVA rod handles, but I've turned a lot of pens - so in theory reel seat inserts and wooden handles I'd turn the same way - bore a hole in the square material first, then turn on a mandrel.

For tools - I agree with Tom on the minis - even for pens I use full size tools . . the large rough gouge mostly . . by using the large rough gouge at an angle near it's edges it almost does what a skew chisel does.
Watch some of Billy V. videos of what a skew chisel in experienced hands can do. I use a rough gouge and sand paper.
Bert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster