I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: BUILDER PROFILES
Posted by: Billy Vivona (69.85.203.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 06:00PM

Jim, when you do my Builder Profile please make sure to scratch it into a wall in hieroglyphics

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:03PM

herb canter Wrote:

> People who use these forums are just as valuable
> as the people that pay for it . Sponsors need to
> respect the fact that despite the belief by many
> that everybody on the planet is on facebook at
> least half or more wan't nothing to do with it for
> a variety of very good reasons that they don't
> have to explain to anybody .
>
> It's not a personal thing , i think it's a good
> thing to remind advertisers that many don't do
> facebook and rarely do people speak up and say
> that when these never ending "Join us on facebook"
> posts appear .

While 50 percent want nothing to do with Facebook, 50 percent and growing do use Facebook and the media is inexpensive to free. I'm not telling you that you have to have a Facebook presence, but you will find most places, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Lands End, LL Bean and most large corporations have a presence on Facebook as well as Print, Web Sites and so forth. In this day and age you need a presence in almost every media if you want to sell any type of product. The only constant in life is change, if we fail to evolve we will perish.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:33PM

Actually facebook has been losing people in mass & so has twitter and for very good reasons i might add that i won't get into here . It appears you think i am somebody who never experienced facebook and all the other social media platforms out there , the biggest reason i stay as far away as possible is because of my extensive knowledge of haven been a part of it at one time .

I know exactly what they're about and what their end goal is and i can assure you it has nothing to do with wanting to help connect people and giving businesses a platform to connect with customers , that i know . It was like that many years ago but it's very very different these days and not in a good way either. To each their own as they say .

Time to move on , Jim from Anglers Resource said the below , he's not demanding everybody watch he's giving you an option , if you like bling tune in and enjoy .

" If you'd like to see the background and work of some friends and/or fellow builders scroll our page, we plan to continue so "follow" our page if you'd like to see more"

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: David Boyle (---.qb06.qld.asp.telstra.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:25PM

Herb,
Good point. Can't have one without the other.

The original post was about sharing builder profiles. It's a shame it didn't stick to that.

Regards
Dave Boyle
[threadcentral.net]
"Thread Art is not a crime"

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 10:49PM

Billy

I hope that crack about cavemen was in jest. I do not do face book and I can still build rods and I use many tools some are even made of iron and I have access to any information available on the subject.

If the information was scratched in hieroglyphics how would anyone on face book read it, the wall doesn't have batteries or key pad.

You are right you don't have to be nice and you have every right to promote the craft but don't scorn those who don't accept it as presented.

Those of us who do not participate in face book should not have to justify ourselves to anyone.

Have fun

John

Date: March 03, 2019 12:21AM

Those of you who are not on FB shouldn't have ruined a good post by Jim, and you wouldn't have to deal with being in a Gieco Commercial. So easy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 12:22AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:03AM

Why should I waste time and money advertising my work. The majority of people who use rods I design and assemble will likely never meet me. and only a few will remember my name if they even know it. This is as it is, no judgement here, as you need to understand, I build for people who don' t buy rods. And It can cost thousands of dollars and often takes a credentialed professional to fish one of my personal designs. Further more your not likely to find a lot of ginger bread thread work that has never convinced a single fish to bite, on my designs. Yes I'm proud to say I build rods for the people who don't buy rods, because they too appreciate and deserve the finest experience available.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 08:23AM

As one of the recipients of the builder profiles, I am extremely thankful to Jim and Bernie Schultz for even considering me in the Fuji venture. Fuji components have been my go to for most of my builds since the early 80's. And with the introduction of Point Blanks a few years ago it completes my search for necessary inshore builds. I don't do much thread-work, because my rods are built for fit and function, and as lite as possible. I fully respect Billy's inputs and everyone else's. Facebook isn't the greatest advertising tool, but it doesn't hurt. As most of us will agree, word of mouth from satisfied customers is the best marketing tool. At my age, agree or disagree, the inputs from the younger folks is most important for the future of our craft.

Date: March 03, 2019 09:17AM

I'm going to guess that your Fuji rodbuilder profile was viewed by 10,000 unique people. If they put it on IG probably more than that. If people are sincere and truly want to see the craft continuing to teh next generation, there wouldn't be this much negativity towards someone trying to grow the craft and get it in front of so many people like Jim is doing here. There is a reason why Mudhole put all the only suppliers out of business, and continue to expand and grow - they are up to date and proactive on reaching as many people as they can. I remmeber when I started building and all those "printed cataglouge" companies who sounded a lot like all the posts in here about the internet. YOu see how well that worked out for them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2019 09:53AM

Actually, most of the companies that stopped printing catalogs went away. It is no coincidence that the strongest component suppliers today all have one thing in common - print catalogs.

Having said that, the smartest approach remains using ALL available advertising resources at your disposal. Why not use everything?

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 12:42PM

Tom on a serious note I would suggest Mr. Al Clark for a profile, one of the true pioneers of modern Thread patterns an to my understanding the originator of the fish wrap.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:00PM

Paul, thanks. I think you meant to direct this to Jim Ising. Hopefully he'll see it or you can email him directly.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:23PM

I understand 100% why companies take advantage of facebook , it makes good marketing sense and there is a ton of potential future customers on there. I can honestly say i have never bought a companies products because of facebook even when i used to be a frequent user , i still refer to print catalogs to find new products i might be interested in and i seek out the companies personal websites to view the products they offer .

Thinking back now i do remember that businesses on facebook list their personal website address but i never used facebook to find a companies website address i just typed in the companies name in a search engine . I may be one of the few that does it this way but thats always been the way i have done it. The way facebook is laid out is extremely limiting to me , it's a bunch of small thumbnail type images by the company talking about what their company is up to or tiny advertising squares of a product that was on sale 3 years ago .

Like i said some love it some don't , thats the way everything is .

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:29PM

Has Gieco taught us nothing? I had hoped that we as a society had moved beyond casting disparaging remarks toward cavemen. I watch every Mudhole seminar on facebook , some of the info is excellent, some of it isn't. New builders just starting out take it all as gospel, some of us know the difference. They offer rodbuilding classes where the first thing they teach you is spining the blank., which if you spend enough time on this forum you will be told is totally useless, yet you're paying to learn it. It's all about selling! The least self serving rodbuilding videos I've seen are those provided by Flexcoat. Yes they want you to use their products, but they also provide info on making some of your own tools should you wish. Ugh (by the way sometimes the hijacked threads are some of the most interesting)

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 10:19AM

Thanks, gentlemen. Never thought this post would stir up a lively conversation. Facebook is an unavoidable component of any good marketing mix nowadays. We have Fuji Facebook fans, Fuji forum fans, Fuji Newsletter fans, Fuji instagram fans, Fuji YOU TUBE fans, Fuji catalog fans, Fuji print fans, Fuji show fans, Fuji web fans and of course, we have the "leave-me-alone-i-don't-believe-anything-you-say-it's-all-marketing-hype" fans. In today's world, ya gotta do it all or be left in the dust.

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 01:33AM

I would have not thought my profile would have started all the comments about FB, I also thank Jim and Bernie for the opportunity to share my rod building career. I have met a lot of great people over the years of rod building and most times the only time I get to see them is at rod building shows. With facebook and other IT outlets I get to see work of other builders. With out it I would never know what they are doing.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 02:14AM

I changed my mind.. I had written a post that took about a half hour to type out... Im gonna pass on this thread...

Not all of us are "cavemen" i dont use facebook either.. My social network is right here... On this forum..

I applaud anyone who promotes builders in any media, i wish i could check it out, but facebook kind of insists you join every 2 sec. And thats not for me..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 02:29AM by Anthony Unger.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster