I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BUILDER PROFILES
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 06:00PM

A month or two ago we started profiling different Rod Builders around the country on our Facebook page and the posts have been wildly popular. If you'd like to see the background and work of some friends and/or fellow builders scroll our page. We plan to continue so "follow" our page if you'd like to see more.

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BUILDER PROFILES
Posted by: Billy Vivona (207.239.160.---)
Date: March 01, 2019 07:48PM

Jim once I settle in I'll send you mine. I didn't forget, but the show and now MArdi GRas, and then a few gatherings when I get back are in the way. I appreciate you asking me, thank you.

Any type of promotion like this is good for the craft, hopefully people take a few minutes to look at the link and read the profiles and get to know a few people who share the passion for the craft.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:02PM

I wonder how many excellent builders don't do Facebook??

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:55PM

Depending on your definition of excellent, I know at least one!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 10:12PM

i don't face book either

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 11:37PM

Nor I.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:10AM

Nope , not me either & never will .

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:39AM

Good to see so many cavemen still build rods

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 01:03AM

Add one more.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 02:05AM

Be nice, Billy. I'm another.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 06:54AM

Why should I be nice? Jim is trying to promote the craft, and the only replies he gets are negative. When I started this was the same thing I dealt with regarding DEc WRaps, the dinosaurs had all these backhanded, negative, and snide remarks about them. WHat's the point of telling people you're not on FB?

Posted by: David Boyle (---.qb06.qld.asp.telstra.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 07:48AM

"Facebook is not a crime"

Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:32AM

You are right David, but I agree with others that I won't use Facebook.

Pat Doyle

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:43AM

I think the point is to remind industry persons that Facebook is not the end-all, be-all of marketing for custom rod building. Not that Angler's Resources/Fuji is doing that (they're not). With probably 50% or more of custom rod builders not being on Facebook, to reach them you have to use more traditional advertising and marketing approaches, along, of course, with newer mediums such as Facebook for those younger builders who are there. From an industry marketing standpoint, the craft is in a long transition phase where more and more are turning to social media but also where many are not likely to ever go that route. It'll be different in another 20 years, but for now, mediums like Facebook are just one piece of a larger overall marketing pie.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:10AM

Billy, good for you.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:00PM

I also avoid all the social networks, see little or no value in them for me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:08PM

The most successful rod building manufacturers and component suppliers all have one thing in common - they all offer hard copy catalogs and heavily engage in print advertising. When Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro, LL Bean, etc., stop publishing catalogs, then it will be safe to assume that the bulk of the business has moved online.

In the meantime, given that so much online marketing is available at little to no cost, it makes sense to at least be there. I think what Anglers Resource/Fuji is doing is employing a broad advertising and marketing approach. It's a smart way to do things.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 02:29PM

I watch rodbuilding topics on facebook, I do not have a page. Ugh.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.qb06.qld.asp.telstra.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 03:24PM

I think there are two perspectives to this one.

The first - Jim is promoting Rod Builder profiles, which is a great way of marketing and I personally get a lot out of seeing how others do their thing, some of their background, how they have been successful, etc. FaceBook is perfect for this. It is visual, instant, shareable, etc.

The second - Others who are not on FaceBook are trying to point out that there are other forms of social media available. Perhaps they feel like they are being left behind? It is hard to tell as reading posts always allows for interpretation by the reader, and motives are then assumed. Personally I don't enjoy hijacking of conversations in this manner, as it then kills the original purpose of the post and takes everyone on tangents. I don't employ marbling on my rods. But if I see a post on marbling, do I take the time to post "I don't do marbling" and then wait for others to pile on and bring the conversation down? No, as there will always be varying opinions on any subject and I try to look for parallels and take value from that.

Communication can be such a delicate and complex thing. But it is also wonderful. That is why I have been a long term sponsor of this board since the early 2000's as I value there being a forum for opinions to be expressed. I just hope that all people who use the forums that others pay for remember to support each other at each step of the way.

"FaceBook is not a crime" is a reference to a conversation started recently on the NERBs FaceBook page which laments the battle of attitudes often observed that "the traditional is best, so you are wrong if you want to do anything else". It is a good read, but you need to visit FaceBook in order to do so! (and be aware it contains some expletives) [www.facebook.com]

Sorry Jim for hijacking your previously hijacked thread.

Dave Boyle
[threadcentral.net]
"Thread Art is not a crime"

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 05:36PM

David Boyle:

"I just hope that all people who use the forums that others pay for remember to support each other at each step of the way"

People who use these forums are just as valuable as the people that pay for it . Sponsors need to respect the fact that despite the belief by many that everybody on the planet is on facebook at least half or more wan't nothing to do with it for a variety of very good reasons that they don't have to explain to anybody .

It's not a personal thing , i think it's a good thing to remind advertisers that many don't do facebook and rarely do people speak up and say that when these never ending "Join us on facebook" posts appear .

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster