I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3/8-1/2oz Chatterbait Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Brian Kulczak (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 11:01AM

Hi guys,
I’m looking to build a casting rod for throwing 3/8 to 1/2 ounce Z-man Jackhammer Chatterbaits for Largemouth Bass in the 1-3 pound range. It would be used around some wood structure (deadfalls or submerged timber). I plan on working the bait as you would with a swim jig and pairing it with a 6.6:1 reel. I’m okay with any length, power, or action you would recommend and price isn’t an issue. I have done some homework and seen a great variety of different actions used and am looking for a blank that others have had success with. Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: 3/8-1/2oz Chatterbait Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 11:58AM

Anglers have varying opinions when fishing chatterbaits. Some like a softer tip, mid blank flex of a mod-fast rod - [www.mudhole.com] Others like a rod with fast tip with a med to med-hvy power - [www.mudhole.com] or [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 01:08PM

We’d recommend our top-of-the-line Made in USA RainShadow ETERNITY ETEC72M - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Our next best option would be the IMMORTAL Series IMMC72M, truly high-end blanks at a great price - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

ETERNITY model would be a little lighter in the tip when compared to the IMMORTAL, but you can’t go wrong with either.

If you wanted shorter for an underhand style casing go with the 68M in either the ETERNITY or IMMORTAL series.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 02:02PM

I think blank selection is relevant to the "structure" you will be fishing. I fish 1/2 OZ chatterbaits in the grasses of the potomac. I almost always throw a 6'9 to 7'0 mh with braid. Anything lighter just does not have the backbone to rip the bait through the grass. Open water you could certainly get away with less.
Rick

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 04:31PM

I don't know what it is about chatterbaits .... when I initially started fishing them I thought of them the same way as I think about spinnerbaits. Big heavy hook, I need a medium heavy power, fast action rod. Something that could really drive the hook home. But unlike a spinnerbait, I lost a lot of fish on them. Then one day I didn't feel like digging my spinnerbait rod out of the bottom of my rod box, so I tied one on a crankbait rod I built that I use for throwing squarebills around and into wood cover. It is a medium heavy power, moderate fast action rod. I stopped losing fish immediately.

If I were building a dedicated chatterbait rod, I would build it on a blank with a moderate fast action, but heavy power, instead of medium heavy power. The only reason I would bump up the power to heavy, is if I were also making long casts with a chatterbait. That longer casts needs more power when it comes time to set a big heavy hook.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 02:28AM

Tough call because we're getting in the realm of powers and actions that have no universal definitions. A MH crankbait rod isn't the same power as a MH mag bass inthe same company let alone between companies. I much perfer recommendations like James made. I have found truly similar power rods of different actions still get the job done, so I don't fuss over it near as much as I used to. My MF MH power Loomis popping rod catches the same fish with the same presentations as my XF MH Rogue popping rod does, they are 2 pennies off from each other when CC'd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 02:34AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2019 09:16PM

I just built a Rainshadow Mh 7' crankbait rod for them.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 08:13PM

Pros are using glass rods.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 08:52PM

So I just got a Mhx 906 today.

I cut 1inch off the tip and 2inch of the butt

Handle is drying from the glue will be a few days until the guides go on

But I’m impressed

I’ve been fishing a cb845 but wanted something a touch longer and heavier

It still has a soft tip. Parabolic action and more backbone than my 845

I feel for 1/2 oz chatterbait it should be pretty dang good.

It’s very much a dedicated chatterbait rod. But I like them and do have lots of grass.

Reel is 6.2 curado k.

[www.mudhole.com]

Will report back later but I’m excited about this build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster