I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie question. Regarding supplies/tools
Posted by: Mike Lemke (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 07:05PM

Hello all,
I'm Mike from Wisconsin. Ive been buying custom made ice rods the last two years. And it has sparked my interest in trying the craft. Could you please advise me on a good company to buy supplies from, and also help me with a list of essentials I need to get started. Also looking for opinions on best brands for blanks. Thank you in advance.
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie question. Regarding supplies/tools
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 08:28PM

All the companies to the left of the page are top notch or they wouldn't be listed . Please tell us what you're looking to build Mike as thats the only way people could give you an appropriate list of essentials , sticking to Ice rod blanks or thinking about something else ? As far as " Whats the best brand " of blanks , good luck with that one , thats a never ending quest that none of us has figured out but if you tell us what you're looking to do we can give you places to start.

Posted by: Mike Lemke (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 09:03PM

Thanks for the reply. My initial goal is to make some ice rods for me and the kids. I like noodle rods for panfish, 28" or less, with split seatless handles. Preferably a wood handle. Also would like to make a few walleye rods similar, but a bit heavier action.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 09:25PM

OK thats the kind of info that helps to get great recommendations , unfortunately for you, i'm not the one that can provide it since i don't ice fish but i do have some links that will help.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 07:35AM

As far as blanks are concerned take a look at Bass Khang's offerings.His power noodle blanks come 36" long so you can cut them down to whatever length you prefer, the tips are light enough to fish gills without a spring bobber and at $7 a piece you can build a bucket full of them for a reasonable price.

Posted by: Mike Lemke (172.56.31.---)
Date: March 01, 2019 08:19AM

What's a good wrapper to start with?

Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (97.96.45.---)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:59AM

Hi Mike, I too am a newbie and just as clueless about a surf rod build as you are about an ice rod build, the best advice I can offer one newbie to another is to learn every minute detail about the rod you intend to build from the butt to the very tip of the rod. Use the top of this page "FAQ,Photos,Library" if it's not there then ask this forum, there are loads of pro builders like Herb and Jay and others I have not yet known that will steer you in the right direction. There is no greater joy in life than to participate in a sport WITH your children. Have a happy build and all the best Nick R.

Posted by: Allan Gadia (---.alliedtelecom.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 03:32PM

I was in similar shoes as you at the end of last year.

Several of the vendors on the left hand side sell rod building kits. Mine came with a blank, all the components, and the basic things I need to build that rod, along with instructions. While I admit 3 months later I have upgraded many of my tools, it was great because it got me into the craft without overthinking things and spending a boat load of money.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 04:47PM

Ice rods are the most challenging for me since they are so flimsy, hard to control in wrapping. Just a warning, if you start with them you might get discouraged, but trust me, it will get better with the more stout rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 10:02PM

10-4 on the situation with ice rods and their overall response.

However, the solution is very simple. To wrap these very light action rods easily is to use a pair of very compact rod rests that capture the blank on each side of the guide in question and quite close to the guide, so that the short distance between the two rod rests does not allow for any significant blank deflection.

Here is one example of a rod rest using 3/4 inch shower door rollers to support the blank on extended narrow bars to allow for hand access close to and under the guide being wrapped:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Another example of a very compact rod rest using fiberglass rod sections with a groove cut into the top with a dremel tool and inserted into a cutting board base. Multiple holes have been drilled into the cutting board base to allow the vertical rod rests to be spaced very closely together, or further apart.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 10:07PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster