I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The physics of fish-rods
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:28PM

Norman, thanks for the weather forecast. Bummer. Maybe late March. Today I went out for the paper, and it felt "cold". It was. The digital thermometer said it was - 6.3 degrees F. My wife said the kitchen was "really cold". It was 63.8 degrees F. I didn't like the feel of either. The birds and squirrels didn't seem to mind, but it was still - 6.3 F where they were.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:50PM

Whoa! -6.3 F is really cold. We will get into the mid 20s with highs in the 40s for three days next week. That’s very cold for us down here. Hopefully, when the weather warms up the crappie spawn will start. We have some really good crappie fishing here, 2 to 2.5 lb crappie are very common, with some over 3 lbs. I guess you have to wait till the ice thaws, I hope sooner than later. Good luck!
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 11:11PM

I am well acquainted with some rods that feel right, some that I have bought and some I have built. It is faintly possible that all these rods perform pretty much the same but some them "feel" better. It's hard to tell, because the actual performance of rods is not not a matter of concern for most rod builders and anglers, and consequently rod performance is not a matter of record: All rods cast. Good enough.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:24AM

Phil Ewanicki:

" It is faintly possible that all these rods perform pretty much the same but some them "feel" better. It's hard to tell, because the actual performance of rods is not not a matter of concern for most rod builders and anglers"

Phil are you honestly saying that you cannot discern the differences between the rods you fish the only thing that you can tell is that some feel more comfortable to you then others ? I know you're talking about fly rods which i am far from educated about but do you have any that are similar in power and that are the same length and that you use the same weight line on ?

Throw what you like to throw and it should be quite easy to tell which one performs better for you .

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 08:34PM

I'm gettin' too old for all this stuff. Technology-over my lifetime- has transformed heavy,slow,sloppy fishing rods into impossibly light,sensitive wands of great power and delight. And it's still goin'. But what's a "harmonic" look-or feel- like? Is it something that can be designed for? Or is it an inevitable result of taper,weight,material,etc.? Putting it a different way, are "harmonics" deserving of our attention-or more of an esoteric abstraction?

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2019 04:08AM

Interesting thread. I just did a quick read.

I can't explain everything but recently, I've been exploring/examining Japanese UL rods and conclude that they are far more advanced in their analysis and manufacture than US rod manufacturers. I may be wrong but that's my take. Here's a sample page of the details they get into by just one of the manufacturers. Possibly goobledy gook? (I don't mean the language but the claims) or Possibly that they really are onto something in their analysis? At the very least, their Carbon Fiber finishes/weaves are pretty but I'm not beholden to the visuals.

[www.olympic-co-ltd.jp]

Date: March 04, 2019 04:21PM

Thanks Mo , i just went through all that and translating most of it to English , it's still impossible to understand , the only section that was somewhat understandable was the Autoclave information and that process is no secret , Century rods have been involved with that for many years .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2019 09:57PM

There is a lot of information there interspersed with marketing jargon. Don't think any of it with satisfy Phil .

Date: March 04, 2019 11:34PM

Phil should read the " OLYMPIC Sensitivity System " that is provided in that link , it's guaranteed to confuse you to a point where you may end up heaving every piece of fishing equipment you have ever owned in the dumpster & walking off into the abyss never to be seen or heard from again . In the bottom right hand corner of the page there is a translation box just translate it to English .

It repeatedly goes from making sense to total chaos and not making any sense at all .

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster