I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The physics of fish-rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2019 08:21PM

What most fly fishermen who read those tests are looking for is which rod was able to cast the furthest (it must be the best). And the rod that does that will be the one which is most closely matched, power-wise, to the line chosen for the "test." Trouble is, since no two of those rods are likely to possess the same power, it's not really a test at all. Unless all the rods feature at least the same power, nothing has been proven.

There is an art and even a science, of sorts, to advertising and marketing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 09:25PM

it,s a lever..that,s all i need to know..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 09:35PM

How does it feel to the end user?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 09:52PM

Tom is right on. I thought after my last post that all the test showed was which rod cast the test line the "best." Use a different line and you'd most likely get a different answer.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 27, 2019 09:53PM

You made my point, Tom. A power rating is a physical property of a blank, a quality that can be determined numerically and reliably replicated. Even the "weight" of a fly rod refers to a measured quality: the weight of the first 30' of fly line which that blank is best suited to cast. Admen have even corrupted that objective measurement by proclaiming "The most powerful 5 weight rod made" - that's because it is a 6 weight !

Date: February 27, 2019 10:25PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom is right on. I thought after my last post
> that all the test showed was which rod cast the
> test line the "best." Use a different line and
> you'd most likely get a different answer.

Bingo.

Date: February 27, 2019 10:25PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> You made my point, Tom. A power rating is a
> physical property of a blank, a quality that can
> be determined numerically and reliably replicated.
> Even the "weight" of a fly rod refers to a
> measured quality: the weight of the first 30' of
> fly line which that blank is best suited to cast.
> Admen have even corrupted that objective
> measurement by proclaiming "The most powerful 5
> weight rod made" - that's because it is a 6 weight
> !

And another Bingo.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 10:52PM

You can take all the objective scientific measurements you can muster up, but you still have to personally try it to know if you like it. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, biases and perceptions. Based on this there is no way any set of objective parameters would define the best rod for everyone. Double blind testing under controlled conditions is the way to go if you are trying to prove or disprove a scientific theory. But it means nothing if you are trying to tell someone what’s the best rod based on objective measurements. Because what’s best to you may not be what’s best to me. So for companies to perform and list a bunch of esoteric measurements, is basically a waste of money for them, because only a few will know what they mean.
Norm

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 10:58PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> You can take all the objective scientific
> measurements you can muster up, but you still have
> to personally try it to know if you like it.
> Everyone has different likes and dislikes, biases
> and perceptions. Based on this there is no way any
> set of objective parameters would define the best
> rod for everyone. Double blind testing under
> controlled conditions is the way to go if you are
> trying to prove or disprove a scientific theory.
> But it means nothing if you are trying to tell
> someone what’s the best rod based on objective
> measurements. Because what’s best to you may not
> be what’s best to me. So for companies to
> perform and list a bunch of esoteric measurements,
> is basically a waste of money for them, because
> only a few will know what they mean.
> Norm

That was the point I was trying to make, and I agree with your statement. There are alot of specifics that can be quantified that are of great interest to me personally, but as we have both said those metrics would be meaningless to most people.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 12:53AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Tom is right on. I thought after my last post
> that all the test showed was which rod cast the
> test line the "best." Use a different line and
> you'd most likely get a different answer.

Thats not just the case with fly rods , change the line on any rod/reel and it will perform differently . Testing blanks for performance characteristics WITHOUT components would be ideal but i don't see it happening . I prefer high mod rods because they are capable of releasing more stored energy but only if designed correctly .

Date: February 28, 2019 07:55AM

Actually the parallel on casting and spinning rods wouldn't be changing the line, but rather changing the casting weight/lure. On a fly rod, it's the line that supplies the weight. Yes, spinning and casting rods will be affected by line type, but only marginally in terms of how the line loads the rod.

Date: February 28, 2019 12:56PM

I knew it wasn't a great comparison because spinners and fly rod outfits cannot be measured the same way but i wasn't sure how to word it , you filled in the missing pieces that makes it easy to understand .

Date: February 28, 2019 01:36PM

if i,m after a big fish, i,ll need a stronger lever to cast that big ol' bug and land that big ol' bass..lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 03:12PM

Norman's response right on! I build only fly rods, and my customers seek many characteristics of a rod, many of which have no metrics obtainable.

They want to know how it fishes, with casting an important factor.

Each one is different and may be looking for different defining factor.

Date: February 28, 2019 03:46PM

Phil Ewanicki , now i feel your pain , i think it's become obvious that people continue to come back to the personal preference thing which is just "Basic common sense" which i know is not the info you were interested in . Phil wants hard data on dynamic efficiency of each blank prior to adding components , i want that also , i'll have Norm get right on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2019 03:47PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 07:32PM

Please define "dynamic Efficiency."

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2019 08:49PM

Here's the problem with data other than the true power and action of a bare blank. All the other measurable s, the way a blank oscillates or whatever, are affected by the components used to turn it into a fishing rod. That alone makes any such data collected from a bare blank, pretty much useless, because once the blank is turned into a fishing rod, those properties no longer exist.

Aside from the fact that manufacturers know that most people could care less about such information, why would a manufacturer publish data that they know will be meaningless in their products real world application?

Date: February 28, 2019 09:05PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
" Please define "dynamic Efficiency."

If you look up " Dynamic Shaft Fitting Addendum" which discusses graphite golf shafts and how they test them and compare the differences and performance characteristics you will get the idea , it's complex though and i'm no engineer . I know exactly what Phil is talking about though when he requested that he wants a system that can produce concrete numbers that show real world differences between blanks , saying this rod will outcast that rod and this blank is smoother than that blank is just not going to work for Phil , Phil demands proof . Unfortunately no hard factual proof is available from manufacturers so this is not good news and Phil is not going to be a happy camper .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 28, 2019 09:29PM

I like to know what I'm paying for. Others like to have people tell them what they are paying for- in general terms such as "Smooth" and "Powerful" and "Accurate" and even "Soulful". I have no problem with that - if such information makes them happy I wish them well. A "system" which compares how far in actual feet and inches two rods cast and how close they cast to a target is not too much to ask.

Date: February 28, 2019 09:32PM

David Baylor, you make a whole lot of sense..

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster