I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides similar to kL-H
Posted by: Brandon parlacoski (---.sub-174-216-24.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 03:51PM

Hello I will be building a rod for a friend who likes the look of the American tackle ring lock a frame guides my question is I have mostly used kL-h guides on spinning rods with great results with the gps system and these look reasonably similar but I wonder would I use the the same reduction train and sizes for them. Still pretty new to rod building have built 10 rods so far with a lot to learn. The rod will be a north fork st 964 thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides similar to kL-H
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 04:13PM

If the heights are similar to the KL-H and the ring sizes are close they should work , i know many love to use the Pacific Bay Minima Match guides as a direct replacement for Fuji's KL-H . Experimentation will be needed of course .

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 26, 2019 04:46PM

Brandon,
Herb is correct on all counts. May I suggest viewing both American Tackle and Anglers Resource websites for guide heights. I suspect you will find the AT offerings to be shorter than the Fuji KL-Hs. Although the PacBay Minima M guides are a couple mm shorter than comparable KL-Hs, I have used them quite a bit with great results where durability is not top priority. Besides only needing to slightly modify GPS for the M guides, they are considerably lighter, but I always use a Fuji Alconite tip top.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2019 06:47PM

Sea Guide and Pac Bay have similar guides. I think Sea Guides maybe higher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 11:32AM

If you use the KR Concept GPS on the Anglers Resource site and then use another brand to complete the build, the guides will melt off the blank the first time you use the finished rod. ;)

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 04:54PM

Good one Jim, but you know what they say about imitation and flattery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 04:57PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: February 27, 2019 05:21PM

Brandon, you can use same configurations, they are all pretty much the same height. I've been a builder who used exclusive Fuji KR type guides but, later on, I gave it a try to American Tackle Tornado and now I switched to Seaguide's XO (or Zeus series as they appear in the catalog) , which rival Fuji's Torzite in quality and performance but beat them with the price. Is not my intention to offend somebody but, if you don't have a special reason for buying Tornado don't do it. They are by far the worse choice performance wise and from the quality point of view. They are very heavy, the foot needs quite a bit of sanding on every single guide, and they have quality issues . Personally, from now on, I will only use Fuji for those clients who are asking specifically for them (and who want the best money can buy) but, for my self and for people looking for "best bang for the buck " I will try to stick with Seaguide XO (Zeus). And don't worry, your guides won't melt as long as you respect and apply the KR concept properly.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 05:26PM by carol staiculescu.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 12:34PM

Ha! No Carol, they won't melt. But they sure will feel guilty sittin' there where a KL-H should be, LOL Seriously, thanks for your support, KR has been a big boost for lots of builders.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:17AM

I have never had a Fuji guide failure. Cannot say that about other brands. They always look like jewelry, and I know exactly what I'm going to get when I order. No incentive go to "similar to." Admittedly, I don't build the volume of rods that builders who do it for a living do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:18PM

i have Pac Bay M guides on rods that are 30+ years old, till G Loomis was sold they used their components on their rods, no need to be concerned they won't take a licking.

Posted by: Brandon parlacoski (---.sub-174-216-17.myvzw.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:03AM

Thanks all for the answers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster