I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Handle - Need Help Identifing
Posted by: Steve Quigley (162.95.216.---)
Date: February 25, 2019 09:36AM

good morning

i have asked a couple of questions but mostly lurked and use this Site as a knowledge database....

question:

consignment store had a tub of fishing rod handles - i got 4 and might go back for 4 more - ~6" cork butt with a chromed conical butt cap, normal reel seat, ~4" fore grip. the fore grip is capped with a plastic/metal conical insert Top. this 'Top' accepts the Rod Blank with the Blank only going into the Top by ~1.5'.

I know this description is hard to follow. the oddest is the Top/Socket that is kinda shallow for a standard Rod. could this be Fly Rod Handle?

I can include pictures if needed.

thanks
steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Handle - Need Help Identifing
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 11:26AM

Steve,
It really doesn't matter where the handles came from or what they are called.

In a word, if you like the handle and can make good use of it, buy it and build with it.

Enjoy.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 01:06PM

pics are always good.

Date: February 25, 2019 01:23PM

Woody - will try to get Pictures tonight..

Roger - i agree on the 'where is came from.....', the issue that a Blank will only go approximately 1.5 inches into the Handle. I like the Handle but wouldn't think that the short connection to the Blank will handle a Boat Blank.

I am wondering if it is a Fly Rod Handle of some fashion??
Steve

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 01:44PM

Most blanks go all the way into the handles not a little bit , WILL IT HOLD UP ?

William Sidney
AK

Date: February 25, 2019 02:10PM

Bill

thank you - that is my question to the Forum....

with the exception of the olde tyme 2 piece saltwater Boat Rods where the Handle is a chrome ferrule to the Rod, I have never seen this... even with the old Boat Rods, the connection was stout, Handle diameter and closer to 3 inches.

with these Handles, the Blank is ~ 0.5 inch in OD and <1.5 inches in length... that is why i am thinking it is a Fly Rod Handle where load is significantly lower..

Steve

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 02:46PM

So the question is will it hold up , tough to say but if it does hold up i'll take the credit for it and if it turns out to be a complete disaster it's Norms fault even though Norm has nothing to do with it. We need pic's

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 02:47PM

Fly road handle {grip } all the way through there is a lot of force on the grip when casting

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 04:25PM

I remember old casting grip/seats that took a ferrule of about that length. If I didn't know who built them I wouldn't use them. There is some real junk out there. For example, are the hoods that capture the reel foot plastic? If yes they will probably fail. You have no idea of what plastic they are made of. When I see metal trim pieces on a grip, I see "cheap."

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 05:45PM

Sounds like some type of the old speed stick handles which were quite common on rods over 30 yrs ago. They were designed for relatively short rods and the rods were either directly glued into the handle or fited with a butt ferrule that would fit in the handle. Most fly rod handles would not normally have cork on both sides of the reel seat. However, if there is female like ferrule on both ends of the handle it is possible it could serve as a reversible handle for both spinning and fly fishing.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 05:49PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Steve Quigley (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 06:52PM

Norman

I think your on it...

Handle Pictures - scroll thru them - [imgur.com]

The dust in the Top is just that, dust....

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 06:55PM by Steve Quigley.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 07:23PM

Lew's - Fuji handles? Failed to view photos before posting!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 08:38PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: February 25, 2019 09:56PM

They are not Lew’s speed stix handles! However they are based on a similar concept. This handle looks like it was fitted to the blank via a metal ferrule. The Lew’s handle had a very different look and were either glued directly to the blank or attached via a plastic ferrule. At the time a lot of manufacturers made the handles separately, and attached them to blank when the rod was being put together. Many handles were made on aluminum tubes. I guess it saved money and time.
Norm

Date: February 25, 2019 10:03PM

If I were to pickup some lightweight Blanks (8 - 10# range in the 5' range) and epoxy them directly, would you hazard a guess as to whether it would last?

Again, the female ferrule is ~1.5" deep.

Or would it be better to use a male ferrule to connect??

Thanks again
Steve

Date: February 25, 2019 10:39PM

As long as the fit is not sloppy and the butt is properly shimed,and reinforced, it should work. The ferrules for most of the old Lew’s handles were in the 1.5”-2” range, and many of those rods are still around. Even the ferrules used to connect handles to off shore heavy duty trolling rods were not much longer. In addition, many old fiberglass surf rods had handles made on an aluminum tube with the blank only being inserted a couple of inches into the tube, and they worked fine.
Norm

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-4.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 01:25AM

Damn... Stupid work... Norm beat me to everything! I was gonna suggest a reversible handle.. And it just so happens the rod i just got done restoring sits on a aluminum tube.. Lol and it just so happends to be a surf rod.. Lol

Posted by: Steve Quigley (---.ipvanish.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 06:11AM

Great. I will try to put something together then.

I know about the boat and surf Rods but those had substantially larger diameter ferrules.

Thanks to all. I will let you know how it goes.

Steve

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 26, 2019 04:53PM

Norman, you're the best!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 26, 2019 05:34PM

yes he is...

ok, here's the plan. i am very open to suggestions

i have 2 sets of Rainshadow 10' 9wt Blanks that i though would turn into very light surf rods, i don't need carolina haulers, or sprey rods. the handles were to be 1/2" pvc pipe covered with cork tape and fuji #6 reel plate..... i have built a few conventional rods this way and like the outcome.

i am going to use 1 set with one of these handles. if it works, i will do the same to the other and give it to my son-in-law...

the plan is to epoxy an ~3" filler into the rod butt for strength. then epoxy the rod into the handle. by the way - the socket is only 1.25" deep....

then finish the Rod with the appropriate Guides, yadda, yadda..

????????

Date: February 28, 2019 09:01AM

UPDATE

Got the Butt Section mounted Tuesday Night. Seems to be nice and tight. I have a bunch of Telescoping Rod Guides. I am going to temporarily mount a couple and a TipTop and try it out in the backyard - if the rain ever stops....

I will admit to 'brain damage' though.. The Rod had the Rainshadow Label at the Butt. I was going to keep it. Using acetone to clean off the excess epoxy and guess what was also removed....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhh ;-)

more to come
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster