I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
advice on how to get black bond lines on cork grip
Posted by: dwight doty (---.static.grandenetworks.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 09:09PM

I am putting more decorative cork handle together with normal and burl cork and would like to figure out how to get a thick ~1/32" black bond line between the cork and the burl to set off the burl ... so am asking for ideas on how to do this. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: advice on how to get black bond lines on cork grip
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 09:44PM

Vulcanized fiber or G10 Spacer material

Ron Weber

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 09:49PM

Mix black Testors paint with rod bond and glue them up with a heavy load. Compress until you have the desired spacing.Then clean up grip as you normally would.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 10:22PM

A 1/32 glue line is a lot of glue. That work great for just a small definition line between the rings

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 10:57PM

Check out mud hole stacked burl cork SKU: #STBCR500, if not dark enough try dyeing it with ink or sharpe. I tcan be cut in half to get a single line.

Have fun
John

Date: February 25, 2019 01:47AM

Using rod bond to join cork rings will leave a glue line with out even trying, 1/32 would be no problem.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Slawek Dobosz (---.univ.szczecin.pl)
Date: February 25, 2019 04:28AM

Why don't you use slice of EVA cutted for desired thickness?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: February 25, 2019 10:00AM

Black gasket paper, black rubber gasket material, etc.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 10:41AM

Dwight

I build faux birch bark grips from 1/8" cork for which a black glue line is very important to define each cork ring and create the bark illusion. I use VooDoo Midnight Sky metallic epoxy marbling dust in TiteBond to glue up the grip. The resulting black glue line is not 1/32" wide, but the black glue line is clearly visible in part due to the contrast between the light, natural cork and the black line. An alternative to VooDoo dust is black Ritz dye, which I think does not work as well as the marbling dust.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 11:48AM

Dwight, I sen to you an email with a link to the material I use. You will find it quite difficult to get a consistent 1/32" line using epoxy.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 01:36PM

Epoxy line hard to get a good one you need to add some type of EVA or gasket material , check your local auto parts store , remember when you are shaping your handle at the different rings, you will have a problem getting it smooth
no bumps

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 07:46PM

poker chips.
thin them down if you want narrower then they are

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 09:35PM

I use pieces of wood veneer that I get from from my local Woodworkers Supply. The veneer comes in a variety of colors so you can use the veneer to complement a variety of blank and thread colors. The veneer is thin enough to cut with scissors. Just glue a small piece or 2 of veneer between the cork rings the same way as you glue up the cork. You will not be able to pre-drill a hole in the veneer or it will shatter. As a result you will need to glue the veneer between 2 cork rings and let it dry before your can ream out the hole. Then just continue assembling the rest of the handle. It adds and extra step and takes a little longer but I prefer the look of the wood over gasket material, eva or other materials than are in common use for this purpose.

Date: February 26, 2019 01:43AM

It sounds to me that Dwight doesn't want a sharp contrast of a solid black line between natural and burl rings, but wants a shade of darker material to soften the transition between the two opposing rings.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2019 07:54AM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy line hard to get a good one you need to add
> some type of EVA or gasket material , check your
> local auto parts store , remember when you are
> shaping your handle at the different rings, you
> will have a problem getting it smooth
> no bumps

be careful with gasket material from auto parts store.....used the sheet cork for inlays and it fell apart...I think its loaded with silicone...

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 26, 2019 01:45PM

I have used black, hard, dry-feeling gasket material, but have no idea of its specs. One issue with materials like this is that it is easy to have them stand proud to the surface since they don't seem to sand as cleanly as cork. Can be done, but you have to have the sandpaper mounted to a straight block and pay particular attention to this issue when sanding. A harder material would probably be better.

Another possibility is to burn it in with a wire while spinning the cork.

Date: February 27, 2019 09:54PM

Thanks to everyone for a lot of great suggestions to try, I am going to prototype several and see what gives the best result. I am looking for a distinct line but it could be a thick bond line. Good advice on the hard sanding block I can picture the cork cupping around the harder inlay materials.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 06:11PM

Or not biting on the softer ones.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 04:24PM

Do let us now what works out for you , we all have our own ideas on what works , so do let us know on the outcome

William Sidney
AK

Date: April 03, 2019 04:09PM

Finally got around to finishing the experiment, and have posted a photo in the photos handles and grips section not sure how to link it here; I got three good results of varying thickness. Shown in the photo starting from the left are 3 versions 1) paste epoxy with pigment and glass bead bond line thickness control clamped, 2) same as 1 but not clamped, 3 & 4) are 0.030 knife handle backing material, 5-9) are 0.020 dyed black veneer sycamore I believe. For the thinnest but definite bond line the pigmented epoxy works well and is easy to do and finish, for a slightly thicker line the veneer is easy to work with cuts with scissors and finishes easily, for the thickest line the handle backing material works well, cuts with heavier scissors, care must be taken when finishing as it is tougher than cork. The last statement is actually true for all variations epoxy and epoxied veneer are also tougher than the cork so you have to be careful sanding to finished shape. Hope this is useful info for others.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster