I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4-single rod dryer
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 10:41PM

An example of a 4-single rod dc motor rod dryer system. The dryer uses flex coat chucks, 24 volt dc motors, and one of them is controlled by a speed controller. The 3 other dryers use single speed 7 rpm motors. The bases are made of 1/4 inch steel to be heavy enough to not require weights or clamping to remain in position.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4-single rod dryer
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.195.---)
Date: February 24, 2019 06:38AM

Well done Roger. I have enough problems keeping a handle on one rod at a time.But did build a motor with speed controller from going over your help full posts.
Scott

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 11:37AM

Roger,
Nicely done again. I am constantly amazed at your work. I was wondering what you used for rollers? They look commercial and about the right size, I have not been able to find anything and so have been making my own from Nylon stock or recycled HDPE plastic.

Also, have you ever considered using stepper motors instead of gear motors? I have been playing with them for a few months now and have a prototype PCB on the way. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2019 12:56PM

John,
I have one system built up with stepper motors and it works very well. But it comes at a high price.
Simply put, there is little reason to spend the money for a stepper motor system, when alternative systems are so much less expensive.

-------------------------
With respect to the wheels, I found these wheels in a surplus store. They were part of a block a and tackle system. In a jar next to the pulleys was a jar filled with O rings that just happened to be the right size for the wheels.

I wanted the large size since I was only using a 2-wheel system, with no keeper wheel on the top side of the rod.

For my power wrappers, I like much smaller wheels with a 3rd keeper wheel to have less bulk around the rod and to make it easier to have better access to the rod and the guides when wrapping.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster