I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva foam grip installation
Posted by: Daren Molina (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 03:32PM

So I’m an idiot. I didn’t watch the Eva foam grip installation videos and I reamed the Eva like I would cork. The 4 inch rear grip stops about 6 inches from where it’s to be installed. Is it ok to still install it that way or should I get another piece of foam and start over without reaming this time. As I said, I’m an idiot hobby builder who’s never worked with Eva before and didn’t realize it was supposed to stretch on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva foam grip installation
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 04:13PM

Use your reamed EVA, no problem for me (I ream my EVA).

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 04:15PM

If the rear grip is past where you want it to be you can build up the desired area with masking tape and epoxy the grip there. If the rear grip didn`t reach the desired area try twisting the grip to back it up the blank. Then put some elmers glue higher than the desired area to act as a lubricant ,epoxy the desired area and slide the grip to the desired area in one motion.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 04:16PM

I would put glue from a little above where the butt end stops now and pull it down to where it belongs while twisting it to spread the glue around inside. Before you do that however, Remove it from the rod and chamfer the butt end of the grip so it doesn't squeegee the glue off the blank.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 07:28PM

Daren
I ream all of my EVA grips and stop reaming when the grip stop a little short (3-4") of sliding in to its final installation point, If the grip can pushed into position with a little force applied it's perfect in my opinion. Move it back up the blank, butter up the blank with adhesive, and push it back into place over the glue. If your reamed grip slides past the installation spot, I would build up the blank with mesh drywall tape or some heavy thread until the grip fits over the built up material.
Rog

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2019 09:55PM

Read the EVA installation process on the FAQS page on this site. It's not hard to install.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster