I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MVT woes
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2019 01:24PM

Speaking of the casting version. IMO they are absolutely gorgeous reel seats. They hold the reel firmly, and are very comfortable in use. If only their ID's were true to size.

I recently received one for a build I am about to start, and it will be going back. This will be the second one I will be sending back to exchange for the next smaller size. It would be the third one, but I requested that the supplier check the ID to be sure it was true to size, and to have them send me the next size smaller, if need be. Everyone one of them have been size 13.5 mm.

It's very frustrating. I plan on sending Batson an e mail to alert them to the difficulties I've had. I just post this thread as a word of warning to those that may be purchasing one for their build (s) If you're ordering an MVT casting reel seat, have your supplier check the ID.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MVT woes
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 04:27PM

David,

We haven't had any reported issues on the ID of the MVT or any of the ALPS reel seats.

Did you check that number that's stamped inside the seat in the cutout underneath? If not, then my guess would be it was miss picked or the label on the bag (assuming there is) is wrong when compared to the number stamped inside.
Basically for the different ID's, it's manufactured with a Pin that's stamped with the ID number so there's no chance for it to be mislabeled on the part itself.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2019 11:57PM

I would have to agree with James Taylor on sizing. In the past few years I have used more than twenty MVT reel seats and they fit perfect. I do stock five or six so it isn't necessary to be held up on shipping. Only a very few have ever needed to be reamed for a perfect fit. Regardless of their price once you put that carbon fiber masterpiece in your clients hand they never ask about the price again. Commoents I get back are " its the most comfortable reel sear I ever held in my hand......and I don't want to put it down and use my older rods" !!! MVTReel seats are on all my casting rods.

Tom

Tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2019 04:41PM

Hi James, please believe me when I say I am not bashing the MVT reel seat. I absolutely love them. From the time I used my very first one, I haven't used any other casting seat, and I never will.

In an answer to your question, yes I have checked the number that is stamped inside of the cut out. On this one and the other one I exchanged some time ago, both had 13.5. stamped on the inside. The ID of the woven graphite sleeve on this latest one measures .541. The ID of the same sleeve on the one I returned previously measured .538. That doesn't seem like much, but it can make a pretty big difference on where the reel seat will land.

I'm sorry I haven't sent the e mail I spoke of sending earlier, as of yet. Had a pretty busy weekend attending fishing shows.

Anyhow, maybe I've just had bad luck, or perhaps my digital calipers aren't quite accurate. The other MVT seats I've used, I was able to have the supplier fit them to a blank I was purchasing from them. On the ones I've had trouble with, I have ordered them based on measurements I took off the blank. The trouble could be with my calipers. Hmmm ....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster