I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding NFC Delta blanks
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2019 09:09PM

I just received the Delta blanks I ordered from NFC in December, and plan to sand them smooth. I've read every post I could find on how to do this and think I have a pretty good idea, but just want to confirm before I get started. I plan to start with 400 grit, and finish with 600. Both wet and dry sand, using a block. It's my understanding that these ridges are leftover resin, and while my goal is to just get rid of these ridges, how much forgiveness do I have? Last step I'm thinking about applying a coat of PG (depending on how much I like or dislike the look of the sanded blank)...it seems to be the consensus of past posts to apply this using a coffee filter with PG and make a few passes over the blank to make sure it's covered, but not wet enough to need to be leveled or turned in a dryer.
I'm going to test my sanding abilities on the butt beneath the grips in case I need to rethink sanding the whole blank. If I decide it's too risky to sand the entire blank, should I apply a thin layer of epoxy where I'm going to wrap the guides to smooth the surface, or just wrap then finish?
Any last minute pointers and advice will be greatly appreciated!
TIA,
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding NFC Delta blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 11:32AM

Paul,
One issue about using a block on a rod blank for sanding.

A rod blank is round and a block is flat.

Actually, if it was my rod, I would put the rod butt in a 5 gallon bucket that is 1/2 full of water.
Then, I would start with 100 grit, start at the tip and keep the sand paper wrapped at least 1/2 way around the blank as you sand. Just take long strokes and move down the rod, Knock the tops of the ridges off and then move to 220, 320, 400, 600 and 1200. The first three grits can be used dry, and then the rest used wet. Using this technique, you should have the blank dead smooth in about 10-15 minutes.

Just don't overdo it. You only want the build up to be removed, nothing from the blank itself.

Be safe

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 12:26PM

Any harm in not sanding a delta smooth? Finally got mine Tuesday.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2019 12:52PM

Paul, I've sanded two of the X ray blanks. If the Deltas have the same finish, meaning hardness of the resin, the stuff you're sanding off is not that tough, nor is it that thick that you would need to start with 100 grit. I wanted to be as non aggressive with the sanding as I could be so I did mine with 320, and 400.

I chucked the blanks up in my power wrapper and turned them at I would guess, somewhere around 200 - 300 RPM. Personally I sanded mine dry, but wetting sanding will definitely eliminate the dust that comes with dry sanding. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to knock the finish down. As far as how long it took me to do each blank, I'd say between 30 - 45 minutes, and I wasn't trying to hurry. I didn't use any type of sanding block. I simply folded some smaller 2"x4" pieces of sandpaper in half and passed the sandpaper back and forth using my index and middle finger. As I mentioned earlier, I used light pressure so as to not take any chances of damaging the blank.

As far as how you will like the look of the sanded blank goes. If you like the looks of a naked graphite blank, that's what it's going to look like when you're done sanding. How polished you want the final surface of the blank to be is going to decide whether you feel the need to go with the 600 or 1200 grit. I personally didn't see the need to go with more than 400, but you may feel differently.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 01:30PM

Bruce Phillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any harm in not sanding a delta smooth? Finally
> got mine Tuesday.

Absolutely not .

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 01:48PM

Roger, good idea.

Do you think a respirator is needed for this? I only as as I wonder of the possibility of tiny graphite particles becoming airborne.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 04:31PM

Particles will indeed become airborne! I don't know if an all out respirator is needed, but I would at least wear a particle mask.

Posted by: Norman Miller (12.170.14.---)
Date: February 23, 2019 05:50PM

I alway wet sand a blank with wet/dry paper, and still wear a particle mask. Better safe than sorry.
Norm

Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2019 07:15PM

Thanks for the replies! I was way overthinking and over-worrying about this! I did a combination of what both Roger and David suggested...I dry sanded on my lathe using 320, then wet sanded with a bucket and 400 and 600 grit. Turned out awesome, and took about 30 minutes for the first blank, and about 20 minutes for the second. Good call on the particle mask-wasn't nearly as dusty as turning a grip, but enough to merit being safe.
Again, many thanks!
Paul

Posted by: Chris Harban (208.81.157.---)
Date: February 25, 2019 12:30AM

If it needs any further gloss, try a disc of 1000 grit 3M Trizact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster