I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crackling or creeking noise
Posted by: ken hoever (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 08:53PM

Just completed the 1st of 6 Stand-up rods. Each giuide was under wrapped and 2 over wraps. In other words, triple wrapped. Used Treadmaster epoxy on the underwrap and both overwraps. Let the epoxy cure and after 4 days decided to flex the rod. Hearing what appears to be a crackling noise and noticed using my head magnifier hairline fractures at the tip of the guide feet. Have built my share of Stand-up Rods and didn’t recall hearing this noise. Looking for thoughts on this subject or ideas.
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crackling or creeking noise
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 10:53PM

it sounds like your layers are not bonded to gather an move under load, [ not good I think ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 11:29PM

Ken,
If I were you, I would to 10 maximum flex tests on each rod. Then examine every section of every rod for any signs of finish cracking.
If you find an area with a crack, apply an additional coat to that particular spot or guide on the rod. After that, I am guessing that all would be well.

Best wishes

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.194.---)
Date: February 21, 2019 03:30AM

Just had same happen on standup 37kg just built. Underwrap in A and double overwrap in D thread. Faint hairline crack at end of the feet. But I didn't hear any cracking sounds. Next build think I am going to try lite build epoxy and only single overwrap in C or D.
I feel your pain. Scott

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 07:48AM

If you earch here, there's a post from 2007 or 08 which deals with this that I made. Spray the least amount of WD40 where the guides touch the epoxy and wipe teh excess off. IT'll stop

Posted by: ken hoever (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 09:51AM

Hi Billy,
What was the topic on this called? Would like to read about.it.
Thanks
Ken

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 11:05AM

Topic title is Squeaking guides

Posted by: ken hoever (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 01:27PM

Thank You!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2019 07:48PM

Once the epoxy has fully cured the noise will cease.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 23, 2019 03:23PM

Thank you, Ken, for the post, and Bill, Roger, Scott, Billy and Tom for your veteran, insightful replies.
I just finished my first stand-up rod; a 30-80lb FG Calstar with spiral-wrapped rollers, size A under-wrap with a single D overwrap. After reading Ken’s post, I decided to flex this build and to my surprise, am experiencing the same creeking / cracking noise and it is rather pronounced. This is the only under-wrapped rod of the six or so I have built which has exhibited the noise, at least that me or customers have noticed.
The first two builds were under-wrapped with a length of CF/Kevlar woven sleeving with a single D over-wrap, all epoxied at the same time. All the others have been under-wrapped with size A, coated with thread epoxy, then a single over-wrap of D. Since two different methods of under-wrap/over-wrap/epoxy were used with no creeking noise yet this last one is noisy, I am a bit baffled.
I suspect Billy V’s. synopsis may be correct concerning the guide feet. The spiral-wrap rollers I had to use do not offer the hinge-effect frame as most rollers afford. Therefore, the pronounced creeking I am experiencing may be from these guide feet not flexing as much with the blank. As a note, due to these rollers being spiral-wrapped and therefore on the bottom of the rod, the guides are on the compression side of the blank rather than the tension side which may be why I do not notice any cracks in the epoxy at the tips of the feet. I do not like Bill S.’s reply because I would hate to think I built a rod that was “not good” lol. I would like to believe Tom, but the epoxy has had 2-5 days, from under-wrap to last coat of finish, to cure even though it will take a few more days to fully cure.
I would hate to have to smear WD40 on the rod!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 23, 2019 07:50PM

Started my 2nd build, will see what if it happens again, My stand-up rod is a Batson Rainshadow RX6 & Eglass blank RCTB56H X-Fast 40-80lb.
Trimmed at the tip -1” and at the butt -16 1/4”, using an American Tackle short straight butt. Total length is 5’6”. The roller guides are Aftco HD Chrome. I know this is irrelevant to noise problem, just sharing this information just to compare notes. Thus far from reading this thread and Billy’s topic Squeaking guides, the one thing in common is this seems to happen only on stand-up or big game rods. I will be leaving for Aruba in another week so I don't know how far I will get with this 2nd build.
Ken

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 23, 2019 11:06PM

Ken,
The Aftco HD Chrome guides are not irreverent. We are all here to learn. The broader the base = broader knowledge!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:54PM

So I have returned from Aruba, was hoping the cracking noise was related to the epoxy not being fully cured. However I still have the noise every time the rod is flexed. Finishing up on the second build and we’ll see if it happens again. In the meantime still very much open to suggestions!
Thanks all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster