I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carp rod build
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 01:55PM

Recently I received a request to build a 12 ft. 2.75/3.50 lb carp rod. After looking on all the sites I know of I came up empty with the exception of guides and blanks in the UK. Does anyone know a source for these any closer. ON line I see Daiwa and Okuma and a couple of others make them complete so there has to be some supplier of this rod blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carp rod build
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: February 20, 2019 03:59PM

Google Pac Bay carp blanks, same for Talon Graphite.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 06:05PM

Tom
For this type rod, it is pretty simple. No big load on the guides, so I would just put on the appropriate pac bay minima guides in your choice of spinning or casting gear, depending on how you want to build it.

A carp does not care very much as to the guide setup for the rod.

For a lot of carp fishing, you just take a heavy weigh t with reasonably heavy line; bait it heavy, cast it out and put the rod in a rod holder. When the rod bends, pick up the rod and reel in the fish.

You can use the typical setup you you would use for a bass rod or a steel head or similar rod.

Build, and enjoy the catching of these fish. The nice size of these fish generally provide a nice fight.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 06:57PM

Mhx used to make a carp rod. I would assume a 12' surf rod able to handle 3 to 4 oz would work just fine.

Date: February 21, 2019 10:35AM

Tomorrow my buddy and I are headed to the ICRBE it would be a good place to ask around about it too. See you there Norm.

Tom

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 05:32PM

I’ll be there. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2019 05:59PM

How far do you expect you will have to cast and how much weight will you be casting?

Date: February 21, 2019 06:37PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How far do you expect you will have to cast and
> how much weight will you be casting?

Phil this is for a client, I can ask him , what are your thoughts? As you can imagine carp rods aren't too popular. He wants the microwave carp guides on it . I was thinking of telling him to buy the Okuma and I'll change the guides out.??

Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2019 09:40PM

I have met european anglers who came to the U.S. specifically to fish for carp. Their rods appeared to be 10 or 11 feet long and bent in a near parabolic shape under stress. They indicated a slow rod allowed them to cast very soft baits without throwing them off the hook. American carp anglers may have different techniques and tackle?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster