I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod tip spinning rod
Posted by: Jeremy Pollack (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 10:27PM

Anyone ever use a fly rod tip top on a spinning setup? I’m rebuilding a 7’6 spinner and planning on using the pac bay minima m models to create a concept layout and also use pac bay fly rod guides for runners. I wanted to possibly use a fly rod tip if this will also decrease weight and to match with the color I chose for the guides. The pac bay minima tip tops I’m seeing only come in ring size 4 and I plan on using size 5 runners so that is why I have not chosen to just go with one of those. Thanks for any input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod tip spinning rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 08:32AM

It's been done before Quantum back in the late 80's, early 90's built some like that I imagine a 1/0 is the size runner you'll need.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2019 10:37AM

Doubtful you'll save much if any weight between the Minima guides and standard snake guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2019 01:00PM

Extensive testing suggests a difference in casting distance of 2.43 inches but an increase of 453 times more unwanted half-hitches in braid line around the tip-top, 141 times as many unwanted half-hitches around the tip-top using monofilament. Fly lines, for which fly-rod tip-tops are designed, are stiff enough that those funny-looking side-struts on a spinning rod are unnecessary on a fly rod.

Date: February 20, 2019 04:19PM

Ok thanks guys. I’ll be going with a size 6 minima for the tip top. Doesn’t match the size 5 runners but I think it’ll do.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 04:32PM

Going one ring size larger for the tip top is the norm so you're in good shape , i also equipped my surf rods that use size 5 runners with size 6 tiptops .

Date: February 20, 2019 10:15PM

Thanks Herb!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster