I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Lathe Tension Rod
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 10:21PM

I am finalizing my rod lathe design. The last piece I need is the tension rod. That little item that applies tension to the thread so I can unwrap the rod without completely loosing the wrap tension. Most I have seen appear to be made out of some kind of steel wire.

So my question to the forum is, what do most builders make this rod from. I have been looking at High Carbon Steel 2B with a .020 thickness, but have no idea how it would work. And before I buy 900 feet of that stuff (smallest quantity I have found) I would like to have some suggestions.

Any help?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Lathe Tension Rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 12:19AM

0 37 music wire from the craft store or hardware store.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 07:29AM

John
You also could use a short tip section of an old rod or rod blank with a tip-top installed.
Rog

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 10:00AM

300 lbs. single strand stainless steel leader wire. works great and also useful for making small tools . Seldom does a day go by that I don't use some of the tools Ive made out of leader wire either repairing reels or building and repairing rods.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 01:25PM

also a good source is a hobby shop many sizes , welding supply [ smaller selection ] what ever is close to you , use an old TIP TOP on the top of your wire ,
I used an old hack saw blade with a tip top on it [ cheep ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 06:09PM

But, millions of rods are built every year on a wrapper that does not use any sort of tension wire.

I have been building rods for many, many years and have never used a tension wire on my wrapper or at any time when wrapping.

If I make a mistake, I just grab the thread, back up the rod and pull the loose thread back through the tension device and go on.

But, it is of course - your choice.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2019 07:04PM

I don't use a tension rod either. I do it a little differently than Roger, as I have the thread going straight from the spool, to the rod blank. If I make a mistake I just turn the rod and the thread spool backwards by hand. I've seen some of the wrappers that have the tension rod, and personally I'd rather not have extra clutter around the area that I am wrapping.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 11:33PM

John,
One of the big reasons that I prefer to use no tension rod, is that with a tension rod, you lose control of your thread tension. The thread tension that you get with the use of a tension rod is essentially the tension that is in the rod. If you want more or less tension for a particular rod, thread or spot, it is difficult to change that tension with the rod in between the spool and the thread adjustable tension that you have in your system.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: February 21, 2019 12:45AM

2X Roger and David

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 21, 2019 01:58PM

I started out thinking a tension rod was a good idea but after wrapping with it i scrapped it and went back to just using thread tension as i found it quicker and easier. Thread tension is controlled by a combination of the thread spool and the blanks rolling resistance while i'm wrapping , i can step away at anytime and not lose any tension whatsoever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster