I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting down a rod blank
Posted by: josh keller (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 12:41PM

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a hair jig rod on a NFC x ray blank, but I'd like to cut it down to approx 6-6". I love the way the sj732 casts, but my question would be cutting 8-10" off effect the action. In order to get the full length feel, should I step up a power, down a power? Is it likely not too change much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting down a rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2019 12:54PM

In a nutshell, the action will become slower. If you cut from the butt the casting weight range won't be affected too much but the blank will be less powerful. If you cut from the tip, the casting weight range will increase dramatically.

Date: February 19, 2019 01:05PM

I love the action on the sj732, I'm just worried if I cut 10" off itll become too soft. Would I be better off perhaps getting a 733 and cutting? In full length, the sj732 is perfect for what I'm trying to build, action wise.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-194-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 01:31PM

Best way to see for sure is to CCS measure at full length and at 6’6”. My SJ 732 blank is 86.5 inches so I braced 8.65 inches of the butt of blank on a shelf to test and it tested Power at 460 grams Action angle around 72. To test at 6’6”, mark the blank there with chalk or masking tape then brace 7.8 inches more up from the mark. My guess 8.5 inches cut off is going to lower the power and slow it down quite a bit

Date: February 19, 2019 01:45PM

Can I do this with a 732 blank I've already built. Or does it need to be bare? I dont want to order a blank and it "may" be what I want or it may not.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 03:01PM

Look at the MB663-1 or 662-1 Might fill your needs. They are definitely lighter than a 736 and you don't have to cut.

Date: February 19, 2019 03:05PM

Would much rather have an x ray. I have Rods built on a MB HM and an x ray and theres a noticeable difference.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-194-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 03:16PM

I can measure my blank tonight to let you know the difference.

You can get a feel of what it would be like by holding the blank 8 inches up from your reel seat then either have someone pull down on the tip or flex it on the carpet to see the bend.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 05:20PM

I would cut the blank from the butt end. It would not take too much effort to make a temporary set up.
Using tape to attach the guides and to secure the reel seat in the shorten position. use some spare EVA for a makeshift fore grip and handle.
Let the excess blank just hang out for the test. You could also move the reel seat to different positions until you are satisfied with the resultant action and then you could cut the blank..

Have fun

John

Date: February 19, 2019 05:25PM

i actually did this a bit with a few rods I had already made up, and the 733 is closer to the action of the rod im looking for than the 732 just by holding the rod at the 62" mark and using the line to flex it. (same as the rod im trying to duplicate which is a 72" pac bay spin jig 722 blank rated for 1/8 - 3/8 oz lures) i am kind of intrigued by the MBHM 663 - the hm blank i have now is a 704 and a great medium heavy blank, but its noticeably less sensitive to me than the x rays. i just wonder if the stock 6-6 blank would be better than a cut down 7ft 3 of if it makes a difference at all.

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would cut the blank from the butt end. It would
> not take too much effort to make a temporary set
> up.
> Using tape to attach the guides and to secure the
> reel seat in the shorten position. use some spare
> EVA for a makeshift fore grip and handle.
> Let the excess blank just hang out for the test.
> You could also move the reel seat to different
> positions until you are satisfied with the
> resultant action and then you could cut the
> blank..
>
> Have fun
>
> John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 07:23PM by josh keller.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 08:14PM

David stated above that the X-ray SJ732 has an IP of 460g and an AA of 72. If you cut this blank down to 6’6” you will significantly reduce both the power and action, which will probably give you a much different in hand feel. So you may wind up ruining a perfectly fine blank.The MB663-HM has an IP = 402 and an AA = 74, which will be much closer in both power and action to what you want and may be a much better option, and give you a similar in hand feel.
Norm

Date: February 19, 2019 08:20PM

any idea on the numbers on a MB 733 x ray?

Norman Miller Wrote:
> David stated above that the X-ray SJ732 has an IP
> of 460g and an AA of 72. If you cut this blank
> down to 6’6” you will significantly reduce
> both the power and action, which will probably
> give you a much different in hand feel. So you may
> wind up ruining a perfectly fine blank.The
> MB663-HM has an IP = 402 and an AA = 74, which
> will be much closer in both power and action to
> what you want and may be a much better option, and
> give you a similar in hand feel.
> Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 09:23PM

No idea, those numbers are not published by NFC for the X-ray blanks. Somebody may have those numbers, but I don’t. However, looking at the specs for both the MB733 and the SJ732 they appear to be quite similar. Sine the SJ is labeled as an XF its AA should be greater then the MB, which is labeled as F. The IP of the MB may be slighter higher than the SJ since it is labeled as ML vs L. With either of these blanks cutting them down will make them slower and less powerful, and change their in hand feel. Six to nine inches is a lot to to remove from any blank and not think it will change the action, power and feel when compared to the full length blank. I really don’t think you will get what you want by cutting these blanks down. They only way to know for sure is to do it, but only if you have the money to waste. That is my opinion only.
Norm

Date: February 19, 2019 09:31PM

thanks guys, i ordered the MB663 HM - i feel a little better about trimming a few inches off that one if i decide to.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 10:07PM

Good call,

The shortening to 6’6” takes the power down to 405 grams and AA around 68.
I said wrong on the full length power it is 465 grams so a loss of 60 grams of power.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2019 05:09PM

Josh, I noticed you said you're trying to match a Pac Bay 722 blank. I don't see that blank in their top of the line Quickline series of blanks, but I'm betting you'd absolutely love a Quickline SJ782. Awesome blank. Very sensitive, a fairly light tip with an awesome backbone. They're a high mod thin walled blank. I built two rods on them and loved them. I say loved because I broke one of them. Not fishing related. Mistake on my part. Not on the level of an X ray as far as sensitivity. But not all that far off.

Date: February 22, 2019 01:24PM

This is an old school pac bay rain forest sj722 blank I picked up stupidly cheap. Built an experiment rod on it and absolutely loved the length and power for close quarters fishing, so I decided to commit fully to adding a premium version rod to my arsenal. I'll likely cut down the MBHM 663 blank down to 6-3 or so.

David Baylor Wrote:
> Josh, I noticed you said you're trying to match a
> Pac Bay 722 blank. I don't see that blank in
> their top of the line Quickline series of blanks,
> but I'm betting you'd absolutely love a Quickline
> SJ782. Awesome blank. Very sensitive, a fairly
> light tip with an awesome backbone. They're a high
> mod thin walled blank. I built two rods on them
> and loved them. I say loved because I broke one of
> them. Not fishing related. Mistake on my part. Not
> on the level of an X ray as far as sensitivity.
> But not all that far off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster