I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need a foam core for a grip. Sources?
Posted by: Chris Harban (---.gold.air-pipe.com)
Date: February 18, 2019 04:41PM

I need a foam core for a grip which will be covered in a CF tubular weave. Needs to be 1.5" o.d. i.d. not as important, but will be over .5" when finished. Needs to be 10" - 12" long.

Any sources? Anyone here want to sell one to me?

Lightweight but strong for the foam.

Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a foam core for a grip. Sources?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 12:11AM

Available from MudHole and Batson

Date: February 19, 2019 12:15AM

1.1" and 1.20", respectively.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2019 09:41AM

Use a cork grip as a core. You can use it as it is or shape it. Cork quality isn't an issue so buy the least expensive one that is in the specs you need.

Date: February 19, 2019 10:48AM

Cork is entirely different than foam. I do not want a cork core. I have shaped cork, and foam, and fish both.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 19, 2019 11:25PM

Utmost Enterprises

Posted by: Chris Harban (208.81.157.---)
Date: February 19, 2019 11:26PM

Thank you Grant.

I visited a friend today who makes grips, he is making some 1.5" blanks for me.

Cheers!

Posted by: Daniel Kerr (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: February 22, 2019 02:29PM

I too am looking for a less expensive foam but comparable to CFX. I did however find a good place for the CF(I think, I just ordered it so I haven't received it yet). I got 10 feet shipped for $20. The place was sollercomposites.com

Posted by: Chris Harban (208.81.157.---)
Date: February 22, 2019 03:00PM

Composite envisions has decent prices on braided sleeve, also. Thanks for the link.

I am not really bothered by the price of the foam core sold by CFX, it is the fact that they do not have a small diameter core for fly rods, nor do they have 1.5" diameter for bigger rods. 1.15" is kinda 'limp'.

For the fly rod grips, I do not like the larger 3/8" i.d. for smaller trout sized rods, as I like a nice tapered fit directly to the blank. I like CF grips for fly rods. Also, I like to be careful in how the braided sleeve lays out where it meets the rod in front. I like a minimal size winding check, and do not want to have to cover up any gaps that do not need to be there. A 3/8 grip i.d does not work for me on a 3 wt. rod. Before wetting the cloth, I make sure that the lay of the cloth is in line and looks good. Then I use a couple of zip ties close to the grip, and finish the tensioning with some smaller waxed string, wrapping right up to very close to where the grip starts.

I like the CF grips finished out smooth, 3 coats of epoxy after wetting the cloth, sanded out completely flat. For a finish, I have been using this 'Soft Touch urethane made by Alsa Corp. It is super expensive, but I already have it in my finishing materials. Also, it is definitely a professional product, needing heat to cure, a bopna fide spray booth with clean air, an air supply respirator to work with, and top quality spray equipment with a professional paint compressed air system with clean, dry air.. The feeling of this finish is almost like cork, it has a nice velvety sheen, and it is extremely tough. It is used on some custom finishes on 'super cars'. Cool stuff. I have also finished grips in 2k gloss urethane, color sanded. I like that, too. What I do not like, especially for a fly rod, are cork grips that has any larger imperfections that my fingers notice, distracting my mind. With the difficulty in finding nice cork, CF foam grips are a great solution. I have not yet made any grips which retain the full texture of wetted cloth with no excess resin. Will have to try that sometime. I just imagine that eventually the dried fish slime buildup would become difficult to clean.

I really appreciate being shown how to make these grips. Super cool.

The investment in mandrels, molds, foam and such, plus the time in learning, the cost is real, not too bad, but the creative possibilities are opened right up.

[alsacorp.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster