I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

large cork reamer??
Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (97.96.45.---)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:04PM

Hi All, I am gathering parts information for a surf rod build and a problem popped up, the surf blank that I want to build is -MHX- SU1208F 10' 2pc has a butt of .776, all the reamers for the handle only go to .52 with the exception of the ultimate reamer which is way out of my catagorey. Wonder if Herb or any other surf rod builder has a solution to what they do, worst case scenario I can always choose another blank with a smaller butt, Thanks a million Nick R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: large cork reamer??
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:35PM

www.mudhole.com/search?keywords=Reverse pilot drill bit

These may better suit your budget.

On a personal note,I use old rod blanks. I simply tape off a spiral and then coat the gap between the tape with contact cement and let dry. I cut strips of sandpaper to match the width of the gap. The backside of the sandpaper is then coated with contact cement,again,allowed to dry. When both the blank and sandpaper have dried,I place the sandpaper over the contact cement on the blank,pressing it firmly in place. Then I roll it on a flat surface under pressure. Remove the tape. Now I have a pretty solid reamer to work with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 02:08PM by Chuck McIntyre.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:37PM

Nick, this is one i will leave to others who have used reamers because i have not. All my surf rod handles use either shrink wrap or Winn Grip overwraps for the handles . What type of grip are you talking about ?

Never mind i see cork , on a 10 foot surf rod ? Thats different but OK if thats what you want .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 01:38PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 01:58PM

Can also make your own reamer. Use a piece of blank of appropriate diameter, and spiral wrap 1/2” wide reamer tape clockwise around the blank piece leaving a gap between the spirals. The tape is attached to the blank using contact cement, because it will hold up very well to frictional heat. Don’t use epoxy to attach the reamer tape, it will break down very quickly due to frictional heat. You can shim a piece of threaded or unthreaded metal rod and epoxy it into the butt end of your blank piece. This enables you to use it in your cordless drill. Easy enough to do and works very well.
Norm

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 04:48PM

I would use cork tape or other sorts of wraps. Given the diameter of the blank plus a wrap and you will have the perfect diameter.

Date: February 18, 2019 07:04PM

Thank you all, since I'm new to rod building I have no spare or broken blanks laying around, but, Quinn gave me the idea that I could wrap cork tape around a cheap reamer until I get the right dimensions then wrap sand paper around the reamer WALLA a cheap .776 reamer ! Nick R.

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 07:08PM

Nick,
I think you misunderstood me. I was suggesting you wrap the tape around the rod you are building and use that as the grip. However if you idea works then so much the better. I really think you don't want big thick reamed out grips on that rod. With a cord wrap you will be somewhere around 0.9 which is good.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 07:38PM

I think Nick is picturing something completely different in his mind and can't visualize what we mean by using cork tape or Winn Grips as the actual grip . I'm guessing he is looking at info from webpages that shows grips being reamed and fitted on blanks that ARE NOT surf rod blanks that are 10 feet in length .

EDITED LATE:

Nick, if you want to see what Quinn and i are referring to google " Applying cork tape for surf rod handle" or " Applying Winn Grip overwrap " to fishing rod .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 08:07PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 08:29PM

There are a number of ways to build a handle for a surf rod. A reamer would be used if you want a cork or EVA handle. Other types of handles would include making a handle using cork tape, shrink tubing, Winn Butt wraps, cord, or combinations of these. [www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2019 09:17PM

Don't overlook broken golf club shafts when making large reamers.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 08:15AM

Pool que. You can usually find them at larger thrift stores.

Date: February 20, 2019 09:56AM

Thank you all for all the great info, OMG!! I just learned something new, I never thought there were so many other rod grips other than cork. So now i'm surfing the net for anything grip related, Came upon one builder that uses "rubber" cement to slide EVA grips onto the blank, it has opened a whole new world for my build and maybe even helps making the build easier.Thanks for all your help, I'm sure more questions will follow LOL. Nick R.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2019 04:02PM

That is a 1/2" drill motor with the handles removed. I have larger reamers.

Super fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster